The Tavern

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Tavern

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I have a really dumb and random question... :|
Is [Google] Bot an actual forum user? I haven't seen any of his/her posts but I do see that they are online... Anyways sorry for the inconvenience! :?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:I have a really dumb and random question... :|
Is [Google] Bot an actual forum user? I haven't seen any of his/her posts but I do see that they are online... Anyways sorry for the inconvenience! :?
Google bot is Google. Search engines use bots to index content. There's also a Yahoo bot, MSN/Bing, etc.

They don't post, they just read and archive/index key words for the search engine. They aren't people, just "robots" (actually just computer programs), that's what a "Bot" is.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Thank you :D
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Oh geez...

I was shopping with my grandparents in a section with lots of vegan things. I saw these dark chocolate bars, and this was pretty much how my thought process went:

"Oh, this one has hazelnut and toffee! I've never had toffee. And it's certified vegan!"
*skims ingredient list a couple times to be safe, and checking for palm oil*
"Great, no palm oil (pretty much everything else there had palm oil). Ah, and 10% of net profits go to endangered species. Awesome. Better get this."

When we got back to the car, I was really hungry, so I started eating it there.

"Hm, this is unusually creamy. Let me just check again to make sure this is vegan, just to be safe."

*checks back of bar*

"Hm, there are so many other labels, but no certified vegan label here. Maybe it's on the front. Oh, no, never mind."

*mild nervousness*

"Alright, I'll just check the ingredient list again. Yup, this looks fine to me. I better check the allergens also, just to be safe. Contains nuts, yes, and soy, mhm. Wait, milk?!"

*eyes widen*

"Let me read that again, just to be sure. Maybe it was only manufactured in a facility with milk, or something. Oh, nope, it says that it contains milk."

*internal panic*

"Did I miss something on the ingredient list?!"

*reads again*

"Butter! No!"

Ugh. How did I miss butter? O_O
Maybe I saw it when skimming and assumed it was cocoa butter. And what about the vegan label? O_O

Like I said, we were in a section with lots of vegan things, so there were vegan labels all over the place, and that bar had so many labels. I must have imagined it was there. I thought I saw them on some of the other bars too, just not on the ones that said milk chocolate...

Well, I don't know. The whole thing is really bizarre.

My stomach hurts a bit now, too. I've heard that you can become lactose-intolerant if you don't eat dairy for a while. I wonder...

It does actually say that 10% of net profits go to endangered species though; I wasn't imagining that. ;)
So maybe the help and harm will even out. What do you think?

Maybe we should return it, and say it tasted awful.

Anyway (obviously), I'll read more carefully from now on.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Toffee is made from butter.

Well, live and learn. Save it and give it to somebody?

Usually the best bet with chocolate is to keep it simple, and go as dark as possible (with very few ingredients).
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Toffee is made from butter.

Well, live and learn. Save it and give it to somebody?

Usually the best bet with chocolate is to keep it simple, and go as dark as possible (with very few ingredients).
Oh. And I almost got the one with raspberries instead...

Well, I was thinking that if we return it, that would take away the demand created. Or does that not work?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Well, I was thinking that if we return it, that would take away the demand created. Or does that not work?
The grocery store will throw it away, if they even take it back after you opened it and bit it.

It will cut into somebody's profits, whoever has to eat that loss (maybe the store), but the thing was already manufactured, and will be replaced with a new one.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Oh. That's too bad.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Anyway (obviously), I'll read more carefully from now on.
I hate when that happens! I've been conditioning myself to check the ingredients more carefully because every once in a while I miss the honey (and sometimes other things)...after which I feel guilty and contemplate what I should do with it...
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Yeah, it's really frustrating.

Anyway, opinions on the TPP?
And why do you think Obama supports it?