The Tavern

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Dream Sphere
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Tavern

Post by Dream Sphere »

RedAppleGP wrote:
Dream Sphere wrote:I hated the controller though.
Are you kidding me? The controller looks cool.
It may have looked cool for a modern pop-art piece, but I just couldn't handle its awkward shape for actually playing the games. I think Microsoft has done the best with making controllers, though the original original Xbox "Duke" controller was a bulky mess. The Xbox S controllers were the start of greatness, then slightly improved for the 360, the only down side being the poor D-pad, but that was fixed with the One controllers.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I miss my cube, Zelda kicked ass! I'm playing Yoshi's Island on a 3ds now.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:I'm playing Yoshi's Island on a 3ds now.
While I don't hate it, Yoshi's New Island looks kinda ugly. Seriously, it does not look pretty. Looks like dull marble. Plus the soundtrack is less than stellar.

Woolly World on the other hand..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

RedAppleGP wrote: While I don't hate it, Yoshi's New Island looks kinda ugly. Seriously, it does not look pretty. Looks like dull marble. Plus the soundtrack is less than stellar.

Woolly World on the other hand..
Music's not great, but I don't really pay attention. Game play's decent, and challenging if your obsessive about getting everything, otherwise it's pretty easy. I started with ten lives, I now have over 200 just from collecting shit.

Wooly World looks interesting..

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:Music's not great, but I don't really pay attention.
Dude, music is one of the most important factors of a game. Gameplay comes first of course, but music is up there.
PsYcHo wrote:Game play's decent, and challenging if your obsessive about getting everything, otherwise it's pretty easy. I started with ten lives, I now have over 200 just from collecting shit.
I know. But this one isn't anywhere near as fun as the one on the SNES or the DS.
PsYcHo wrote:Wooly World looks interesting..
Agree. To me, it's basically what Yoshi's Story should've been. Yoshi's Story had a lot of potential, but it was thrown out. Too easy, repetitive soundtrack, and just too short.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:
PsYcHo wrote:Music's not great, but I don't really pay attention.
Dude, music is one of the most important factors of a game. Gameplay comes first of course, but music is up there.
Depends on the player. I nearly always play games muted so i can listen to my own music or a podcast/audiobook/video.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote:Depends on the player. I nearly always play games muted so i can listen to my own music or a podcast/audiobook/video.
Of course it's subjective, but you need a good soundtrack in there to fit in with the environments so everything feels the way it should be. Do you think some games would be as well received if they had awful soundtracks?
I don't know either, but maybe a social experiment can be done on that.
Last edited by Red on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

miniboes wrote:. I nearly always play games muted so i can listen to my own music or a podcast/audiobook/video.
Same here. Action games are fine for sound, but I like a lot of puzzle/rpg types, so the music isn't important in gameplay. Racing games, however, must be accompanied by a decent metal/hip-hop soundtrack.

Taxation is theft.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I for one like to listen to viking metal while playing TES 5: Skyrim. Other black metal and folk metal is usually also fitting.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:
miniboes wrote:. I nearly always play games muted so i can listen to my own music or a podcast/audiobook/video.
Same here. Action games are fine for sound, but I like a lot of puzzle/rpg types, so the music isn't important in gameplay. Racing games, however, must be accompanied by a decent metal/hip-hop soundtrack.
Except for Mario Kart, of course.
-Leonardo da Vinci