Peanut Butter- Bug Parts?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Peanut Butter- Bug Parts?

Post by EquALLity »

This? :shock:

It's just a picture of a face with bug eyes. Bug, hm.
Yes, of course. Just the word bug makes me shiver. In fact, this one time my friend Billy-Joe and I were walking to the deli to get some candy. He wanted to get gummy worms, but aside from them having gelatin, I pointed out that they were called 'gummy worms', and that I just couldn't have that.
Like I said, I find it odd that this is news.
The fact that there are bugs in food?
I knew about carmine and shellac, and I knew that it was inevitable that there were going to be some bug derived things in processed foods. But I wasn't aware that in a cup of golden raisins that there are on average ten entire bugs and thirty-five eggs. That's really just gross, IMO.
Usually this stuff goes around in grade school and everybody is grossed out, then we get over it.
How many grade schools have you been to? Probably just one, maybe two if you moved.
It didn't happen in mine. Or if it did, it didn't float to me. Who even cares? Why does it matter in the slightest? Even if I was still in elementary school or some crap (I'm not :p), it's not like that would discredit anything I'm saying.
The healthiest foods tend to be covered in insect eggs, and tiny bugs of all sorts.
Not if you wash them. Then everything will just go down the drain.
I'm not so sure it's useful to arrange your diet to minimize consumption of bugs. If even possible, since they're pretty evenly distributed on things.
I wasn't going to make a huge thing of it. Just avoiding certain things with a lot of bugs in them isn't hard.
"Hey, do you want some golden raisins?"
"No thanks."
*conversation ends*
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote:Even if I was still in elementary school or some crap (I'm not :p), it's not like that would discredit anything I'm saying.
No, I was just curious.
EquALLity wrote: Not if you wash them. Then everything will just go down the drain.
I'm going to go ahead and let you believe that, rather than explaining that bugs glue their eggs to leaves with a slimy adhesive ejected from special anal glands that crusts over and makes it so no amount of washing will remove them. I also won't mention that bugs actually burrow INTO the food, and don't just sit on the surface ready to be washed away by a stray splash of water, like the worms that literally burrow inside the leaves themselves leaving little hollow tunnels even in the seemingly thin space of a leaf's interior, and aphids which burrow partway in like ticks on flesh and adhere themselves to plat surfaces.

I won't mention that stuff. Yes, it's all washed away by a casual rinsing. Don't worry.
EquALLity wrote: I wasn't going to make a huge thing of it. Just avoiding certain things with a lot of bugs in them isn't hard.
"Hey, do you want some golden raisins?"
"No thanks."
*conversation ends*
You will find that bug content is roughly proportional to nutritional density and ease of digestion. If you're eating a healthy balanced diet of adequate calories, you're probably eating roughly the same number of bugs. Raisins are calorie dense (due to all of the sugar), which is one reason they have a high density of bugs in them.

They're really very tiny bugs. Worrying about it makes you seem crazy to other people, and limits your options even further which isn't a great idea.

Avoiding sweet foods, though, which are high in calories but not very good for you anyway, may be a way to avoid empty calories and unnecessary bug consumption all the same.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I'm going to go ahead and let you believe that, rather than explaining that bugs glue their eggs to leaves with a slimy adhesive ejected from special anal glands that crusts over and makes it so no amount of washing will remove them. I also won't mention that bugs actually burrow INTO the food, and don't just sit on the surface ready to be washed away by a stray splash of water, like the worms that literally burrow inside the leaves themselves leaving little hollow tunnels even in the seemingly thin space of a leaf's interior, and aphids which burrow partway in like ticks on flesh and adhere themselves to plat surfaces.
And thank you for that gorgeous visual!
Hahaha. I'd rather know the truth and be slightly grossed out than be happy with a lie. So thanks, I guess...?
You will find that bug content is roughly proportional to nutritional density and ease of digestion. If you're eating a healthy balanced diet of adequate calories, you're probably eating roughly the same number of bugs. Raisins are calorie dense (due to all of the sugar), which is one reason they have a high density of bugs in them.
Ah. Well thanks for the science of that.
They're really very tiny bugs. Worrying about it makes you seem crazy to other people, and limits your options even further which isn't a great idea.
The reason I'd avoid them doesn't even have to do with veganism.
Even before I went vegan I avoided carmine.

Anyway, I'll get over peanut butter and other stuff with basically nothing.
Like I said, golden raisins won't even be a problem. I don't eat them. I won't have to give anything up.
I don't even eat ordinary raisins that much. I've never really liked them.
I haven't eaten any since I was hungry and on an airplane.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

(yay 50th post)
I don't even eat peanut butter, that's the sad truth.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Hahaha, this is my hundredth post.
Irony!
Am I a full member now?

Update- Damnit.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

EquALLity wrote:Irony!
Where is the irony?

Great topic btw, had some fun reading brimstoneSalad's comments. :)
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

EquALLity wrote:Hahaha, this is my hundredth post.
Irony!
Am I a full member now?

Update- Damnit.
I didn't even notice I stopped being a newbie.. or a junior member
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Where is the irony?
RedAppleGP just made his 50th post on here, and my response to him about that was my hundredth post.
50 and 100 are both kind of special numbers, and one is exactly double the other.
Great topic btw, had some fun reading brimstoneSalad's comments. :)
:D
I didn't even notice I stopped being a newbie.. or a junior member
Hahaha.

Update- After posting this, I became a full member.
So much irony on this thread.
Last edited by EquALLity on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

EquALLity wrote:RedAppleGP just made his 50th post on here, and my response to him about that was my hundredth post.
50 and 100 are both kind of special numbers, and one is exactly double the other.
I understood what you were referring to, I tried to suggest with a question to you that you weren't using the word 'irony' correctly. It's a word that is misused a lot.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I understood what you were referring to, I tried to suggest with a question to you that you weren't using the word 'irony' correctly. It's a word that is misused a lot.
Yeah, I looked up the definition of irony after, just in case.
So what word would I use in replacement? Coincidental works; I guess.