Tipping

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.

What do you think of tipping

Poll ended at Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Waitressing is the Number One job opportunity for female non-college graduates in this country
50%
Cough up some green for the little lady
No votes
I don't tip because society says I have to
50%
I'll tip if somebody deserves it
No votes
Learn to fucking type
No votes
If you expect me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fucking surprise
No votes

Total votes: 2

miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Tipping

Post by miniboes »

I'm sure you can find a more effective way to do it. If all else fails, write a check to the IRS.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 am Well what if I tip more so more money goes towards taxes so the government can use it for social programs and such?
Government spending isn't a normal economy. Paying more taxes doesn't translate well to them spending more. Your vote has a much larger effect there.

Also, even if it did, a lot of that money is going into committing war crimes in other countries so... least effective charity ever?
Red wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:32 pm Well what if I'm so nationalistic that I just want to find ways to go above and beyond the normal taxation?
You can be self employed and pay yourself to do things, then claim that as income.

E.g. your side job as a head scratcher. $1,000 per head scratch. Just don't give yourself any freebees. Make it policy that you have to pay like any other hypothetical employee of your sole proprietorship. You could be paying taxes on millions of income every year if you wanted to (you'd just have to opt for the accrual based method of accounting).

The IRS doesn't care if you pay more taxes than you should owe (although obviously talk to an accountant if you really wanted to do that), but be wary of using those tax returns to apply for a loan or something.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:37 am Also, even if it did, a lot of that money is going into committing war crimes in other countries so... least effective charity ever?
Well it's not ineffective if things are actually happening.
This brings up another issue though...
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:37 am You can be self employed and pay yourself to do things, then claim that as income.
That doesn't sound very American.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

is there still a point or question here?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

https://youtu.be/x1Vc4vVH7EA
Reminded me of this old thread
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci