Ebola Jokes?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Ebola Jokes?

Post by EquALLity »

I don't really mind any type of jokes - since, like it says, it's a joke: nothing to be taken seriously.
I am like this.

This thread reminds me of this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09fG1BD6iEg
I don't actually agree with everything said, such as everyone who thinks the other way is an idiot. TJ probably doesn't either, he just has an in-your-face attitude.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
dinnermeal
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by dinnermeal »

Jebus wrote:Please post one of the jokes
"Hey, I have Ebola." Not that big of a deal.
"Don't touch me, you might have Ebola." Now that I think about it my peers are just trying to be funny and are uneducated on what Ebola is. This one I dislike more than the first example since it can be taken as mean if said from one person to another, depending on the relationship.

There was also this time in Spanish where a group of boys claimed that a bottle of water mixed with some of the teacher's hand sanitizer (Not sure if spelled correctly, Spellchecker doesn't recognize the word.) was a cure for Ebola, and then a good fraction of the entire class kept spilling it all over the floor, on people's clothes and in people's eyes. This was about two weeks ago and my poor teacher is still scolding the boys who first caused the whole mess.
It's always October in Conneticut.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

I hear what you're saying. A bunch of idiots at my school Say these jokes like its no ones fuc*ing business. I even saw a kid who came up to me and said "I have Ebola" thinking that he just gave it to me. (it's not even airborne) and I'm sure they wouldn't be laughing if they did have ebola. its not a joke! It's a serious epidemic!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
dinnermeal

Post by dinnermeal »

RedAppleGP wrote:I hear what you're saying. A bunch of idiots at my school Say these jokes like its no ones fuc*ing business. I even saw a kid who came up to me and said "I have Ebola" thinking that he just gave it to me. (it's not even airborne) and I'm sure they wouldn't be laughing if they did have ebola. its not a joke! It's a serious epidemic!
Thanks. Yeah, they would most likely take the issue of Ebola more seriously if someone in the school district actually got it, whether it was them, a friend, or a teacher they never met. That probably won't happen, and it would be terrible otherwise.
It's always October in Conneticut.
Campbell305

Post by Campbell305 »

Nothing is off limits. Nothing. Jokes are ment for humor and if people are upset by it that is their problem. The example I always use is if an ex girl friend starts seeing someone and I'm upset by that then that is my problem to deal with. She should not have to limit her life because my feelings are hurt. Now don't get me wrong. If I say a joke and a friend of mine said something like I'm not comfortable with that being joked about would you mind not joking about it around me I'd say sure no problem but I won't be told its wrong to tell say something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVDViHoRROw brillent video. They're talking about rape not Ebola but it still fits.
HellNo
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by HellNo »

The thing is, jokes are meant for fun and all, but certain jokes make certain people uncomfortable, and for sure do not contribute to a discussion/intelligent debate.

On a certain game site I follow, there was this forum thread encouraging people to become Vegetarian. I decided to hop in... and boy did I hear a lot of bullsh!t. About 40% of the meat-eaters just brought up jokes and forms of mockery instead of thoughtful arguments. While the thread was originally a simple discussion page, it turned out to be an intelligent debate, until trolls started filling the pages with nonsense, jokes, and mockery of all forms. Anyone who has experienced simple debates would tell you that jokes and mocking do not help... and are just making things worse.

I decided to step in and speak out against such as I did not want the debate to turn into insults and ridicule. When I did, I got called a troll, got trolled, got insulted, and got called names. One of them thought I was 'flaunting my intellect'... and he thinks I deserve a facepalm :lol:

Yep. It was a waste of time. You cannot argue with internet trolls, unless they are exposed and are taught a lesson. I have to admit, I sometimes end up mocking things such as religion, even around people who I know feel uncomfortable with it. Why do I do that? I wish I knew lol... most likely I was not in my senses because I do not like to start fights.

So yea... I guess there is a time and place for everything. If you really want to share such jokes, you can at least share them with people whom you know are not going to feel disheartened, and not bring them up in discussions or out in the open. That is the advice I can give, from my experience :)
It sucks to be labelled as a 'cow' and an 'immoral bastard' just for being a vegetarian and an atheist, respectively, but I find it liberating to know that my lifestyle is based upon compassion and science! Not some total BS.