Anyone else here published a book?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Anyone else here published a book?

Post by teo123 »

So, has anyone else here published a book? What was your experience?
I've recently published a book called "Jezici za Gimnazijalce" (Languages for High-School Students).
http://www.osijek031.com/osijek.php?najava_id=72741
It's mostly about linguistics and a little about computer science. I thought it would be nice if people knew more about those things than what is taught in Croatian schools (id est, almost nothing).
I've focused mostly on historical linguistics and endangered languages in Europe. I've tried to follow the mainstream science as much as I could, but I couldn't have helped myself but to include some elements of my alternative interpretation of the Croatian toponyms. I don't think that's a big mistake, I've contacted a few professional linguists and they said I could very well be right (though none of them was really specializing in the field).
http://flatassembler.000webhostapp.com/toponyms.html
As for computer science, I was writing something about compiler theory (because I think it's important for beginner programmers to know, for instance, what's a linker or what's a framework, which I think slowed me down a lot because nobody explained me those things), different types of programming languages (because I think that thinking that C++ is the only language widely used in "serious" programs also slowed me down a lot in learning how to program) and the relationship between natural languages and programming languages.
So, what was writing a book like? To be honest, it's very exhausting. It took me over a year to write and edit the text, I am not sure if it was worth all that effort. Furthermore, it caused countless arguments in my family. My parents tried to help me many times, but they knew very little about the topics I was writing about. Most of those times, it just ended up in hours long discussions of me trying to convince them they are wrong. Now I am often afraid I will get criticized for some of the statements I've made, especially, but not exclusively, those about computer science. My understanding of those things got a lot better since I finished the text (about a year ago) and I realize that many of the things I wrote about were poorly explained. I realize that, because I am only 18, most of the people who notice those mistakes will praise my effort instead of harshly criticizing me, but that fear still remains.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anyone else here published a book?

Post by Red »

I actually was writing a book when I was 15, which included a lot of short takes and comedic ramblings, which I called The Holy Bibble. I sent an message to @PsYcHo that included one of the sections. Here:

Grow A Beard, Pussy
How come you never see anyone with a Karl Marx beard or a Friedrich Nietzsche 'stache anymore? They seem to have been phased out of society, and have been replaced with pussy facial hair styles, like goatees and those fucking disgusting chin beards. What happened society? What happened to the balls you proudly displayed? Be a fucking man if you're looking to grow a beard, get an Alaskan Whaler. While I'm at it, how come only the greatest philosophers of all time have the best facial hair (Socrates, Epicurus, Confucius)? Do they just spend so much time sitting on their asses thinking, skipping meals and bowel movements, and just accidentally grow a beard in the process while they rest their head on their fist? They probably figure after a long day of thinking, it's best to groom that mother fucker. I always wanted to grow a beard to make me look wiser and smarter than I actually am, and so I can stroke it to make it look as if I'm in deep intellectual thought, when in reality I'm just planning out how I am going to masturbate to the sweet, delectable ass of a hot chick that I saw walking down the street earlier that day.

Looking back, a lot of these had humour that was excessively vulgar, and the more serious parts are kind of depressing. I might go back and edit out a lot of the stupid shit and add some more intellectual sections.

Perhaps one day in the future, I will become a lot more knowledgeable so I can be able to properly write an informative book.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Do you have some comments about the content of my book?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

I suppose @brimstoneSalad and @EquALLity know something about the topics I was writing about.