The Red Deal (Domestic Policy)

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.

How much of this deal do you agree with?

Most to All
50%
Most
25%
Half
No votes
Some
No votes
Some to None
25%

Total votes: 4

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

The Red Deal (Domestic Policy)

Post by Red »

I already posted this in a thread, but I think it'll be better for it to be the centerpiece of a topic to spark discussion. What does everyone think of a
Red and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ticket?

I actually have a ton of ideas for a domestic program called "The Red Deal." I doubt Congress will cooperate with a tenth of these, and a lot of these are overly ambitious, but these'd be great for a better America (can't quite get to the rest of the world, but it's good to start somewhere).

Health
-Quality universal health care under the AHS (American Health Service, similar to the UK's NHS).
-Everyone will be automatically signed up to be an organ donor, and they can opt out at any time.
-Legalize abortion nationally.
-Increase Stem Cell Research and similar fields.
-Increase use of GMOs for more healthful, and bountiful fruits and veggies.
-Increase funding for research on diseases such as cancer, ALS, etc.
-Legalize euthanasia in all states.

Environment
-Increase wilderness preservation, land is not to be taken down for commercial use unless approved by the government. Government can use land of deemed necessary.
-Increase regulation of corporations harmful impact on environment.
-Increased plantation of trees.
-Outlawing of packaging peanuts.
-Increase use of alternative energy (nuclear power in particular) and increase research so as to improve efficacy and safety of other energy alternatives.
-Decrease reliance on oil and fossil fuels.
-Increased hunting regulations (unless done if you actually need the food to survive).

Social
-Overhaul prison system (focus on rehabilitation methods that are proven to be more effective, since it's probably true that prison punishes criminals rather than teach them why what they did was wrong).
-Fix Electoral College (National Popular Vote Bill).
-Increased regulation on guns.
-Meat, egg, and dairy tax (without a doubt will be largely unpopular).
-Transition from paper money to polymer money (much cleaner and more healthful, lasts much longer).
-Increase regulations of corporations and businesses to ensure the health and well being of their workers.
-Decrease military spending.
-Legalize medicinal marijuana, decriminalize smoking of it.
-Regulate Indian Gaming.
-Increased soda tax.
-Increase cigarette prices (and possibly alcohol).
-Improve public transportation (make them cleaner, more plentiful, make all of them environmentally friendly, and possibly make them free).
-Establish more public charities (not donated to by tax dollars, rather altruism by the people).
-Change "In God We Trust" on the money to "In Humanity We Trust". I know that sounds lame, but we are a nation that separates church and state.
-Higher taxes on the rich.
-Attack social issues scientifically, and create a science-based society.
-Increase aid for scientists.
-Outlaw the hell out of bottled water.
-Increased protection for consumers.
-Increase forensics for crime solving.
-Housing for the homeless.
-Increased welfare and food stamps for severely struggling families.

Education
-Improvements on education system (that'll be an entire agenda of its own).
-Education for the poor on financial issues.
-STEM programs will be made free.
-Create media (particularly on television) for education. Improve PBS and NPR (refund the latter, seriously), and create new programs that each teach a new subject. Meaning that there will be a different channel for math, science, technology, then history, arts and culture, philosophy, and language. I honestly do not trust privately owned educational television (look at the History or Discovery channel).
-Create more education programs to encourage a healthier lifestyle, so as to battle obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc., without needing to do research for a cure.
-Create more education programs to encourage safer sex (or even celibacy if you want to go further), in order to stop the spread of AIDS and other STDs.
-Education programs to courage converting to electric cars, or at least minimizing fossil fuel usage.
-Discourage excessive smoking and drinking.
-Education programs to encourage cutting down on meat consumption, and eating vegetarian or possibly vegan diets, and to plant their own gardens if they can.
-Increase education to encourage altruism and utilitarianism.
-More education programs to encourage greener behavior (recycling, minimizing energy usage, etc.)
-Create more social programs for at risk youth.

Foreign Policy
-Reinstate TPP, add improvements.
-Increased role in UN.
-Offer increased aid to poorer nations.
-Offer support to nations if they are heavily attacked, plagued, or being hit by a natural disaster or famine by sending troops and other aid.
-Encourage Detente with North Korea.
-Send previously outlawed bottled water to nations that lack clean water.

Ah yes, this is my vision of America (there are definitely things I am missing or forgetting too).

Sounds like every conservatives worst nightmare, eh?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Re: The Red Deal (Domestic Policy)

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

I would say there also needs to be a lot of nationalization. We can start with the railways.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 am I would say there also needs to be a lot of nationalization. We can start with the railways.
I'm not sure if things being privately owned is really the issue. The main issue is that some people are being denied essential things for survival since they can't afford it. It's possible to have universal health care while allowing doctors to keep their businesses (we can incorporate them into the AHS).
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Red wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:01 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 am I would say there also needs to be a lot of nationalization. We can start with the railways.
I'm not sure if things being privately owned is really the issue. The main issue is that some people are being denied essential things for survival since they can't afford it. It's possible to have universal health care while allowing doctors to keep their businesses (we can incorporate them into the AHS).
What about exploitation that happens under private ownership?
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm-Increase use of GMOs for more healthful, and bountiful fruits and veggies.
Would you be willing to make non-GMO rice illegal?
Red wrote:-Increase regulation of corporations harmful impact on environment.
Spoken vaguely like a politician. What do you mean?
-Increased hunting regulations (unless done if you actually need the food to survive).
Red wrote:-Overhaul prison system (focus on rehabilitation methods that are proven to be more effective, since it's probably true that prison punishes criminals
Would you be willing to get rid of appeals for the death penalty?
rather than teach them why what they did was wrong).
Red wrote:-Meat, egg, and dairy tax (without a doubt will be largely unpopular).
Make it a carbon / methane tax instead. It will have the same effect.
Red wrote:Decrease military spending.
Finally, I can go to where my grandparents lived
Red wrote:-Legalize medicinal marijuana, decriminalize smoking of it.
Decriminalize all drugs.
Red wrote:-Change "In God We Trust" on the money to "In Humanity We Trust". I know that sounds lame, but we are a nation that separates church and state.
Make it say lā ʾilāha ʾillā llāh muḥammadun rasūlu llāh
Red wrote:-Higher taxes on the rich.
How rich?
Red wrote:-Improvements on education system (that'll be an entire agenda of its own).
How?
Red wrote:-Discourage excessive smoking and drinking.
And other drugs, I hope?
Red wrote:-Offer increased aid to poorer nations.
Invest in production and infrastructure to facilitate that production and the transportation of the local populace to that production instead. You will get returns and help the nation.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Would you be willing to make non-GMO rice illegal?
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that. Yes, I would, since, judging by what has been discussed here on the forum, it seems to have an overall negative impact on the environment.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Spoken vaguely like a politician. What do you mean?
I don't see how it's vague.
I'm a champion of wilderness preservation, and it angers me when I see the nature destroyed for the sake of profit, not to mention the very harmful impact it can have on the environment. If it is done for shelter, or for energy purposes (such as using water from a waterfall, or to build a nuclear plant), then it is to be approved.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Would you be willing to get rid of appeals for the death penalty?
Again, I am neutral on the death penalty. I see reasons to have it (use taxpayer money more productively) and to not have it (possibility of killing an innocent).

I know the death penalty was a big deal between Dukakis and Bush in '88 and Bush won that. Then again, he had endorsement from Reagan, so that probably had more to do with his victory (or the picture of Dukakis in the tank, that was hilarious). I wonder what people would say about someone who's neutral on the issue?
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Make it a carbon / methane tax instead. It will have the same effect.
That sounds like a much better idea, and has a higher chance of being passed.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Finally, I can go to where my grandparents lived
Obristan?
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Decriminalize all drugs.
Good idea. Actually, I think victim-less crimes should be decriminalized.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Make it say lā ʾilāha ʾillā llāh muḥammadun rasūlu llāh
But most Americans can't speak French.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm How rich?
The rich. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

More thinking the top 5% maybe. An economist would help here.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm How?
Again, that's an entirely new agenda.
In short, it will focus more on the learner learning rather than memorizing material for a class that most will forget after they take it.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm And other drugs, I hope?
Which drugs?
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm Invest in production and infrastructure to facilitate that production and the transportation of the local populace to that production instead. You will get returns and help the nation.
So you're saying Dollar Diplomacy?
-Leonardo da Vinci
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Red wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:21 pmI'm a champion of wilderness preservation, and it angers me when I see the nature destroyed for the sake of profit, not to mention the very harmful impact it can have on the environment. If it is done for shelter, or for energy purposes (such as using water from a waterfall, or to build a nuclear plant), then it is to be approved.
Do you mean making commercial ventures into undeveloped land illegal? If so, why not just charge two to five forests of reforestation? People don't like being told no.
Red wrote:Again, I am neutral on the death penalty. I see reasons to have it (use taxpayer money more productively) and to not have it (possibility of killing an innocent).
Why do you care about a small population of innocents that cost enough money to save even more innocents?
Red wrote:Obristan?
Aleppo. Pretty close tho.
Red wrote:Good idea. Actually, I think victim-less crimes should be decriminalized.
I would also legalize prostitution so it can be regulated.
Red wrote:But most Americans can't speak French.
Hey I've seen that comic too.
Red wrote:More thinking the top 5% maybe. An economist would help here.
Would you tax foreign ventures? I wouldn't if the ventures could be proved beneficial to the local populace (e.g. building trains to transport whatever you're selling, but also offering it as a transportation service).
Red wrote:In short, it will focus more on the learner learning rather than memorizing material for a class that most will forget after they take it.
What's wrong with memorizing?
Red wrote:Which drugs?
The top n drugs killing in a given state.
Red wrote:So you're saying Dollar Diplomacy?
Yes, but not only with loans.
mkm

Post by mkm »

@Red

Why higher taxes for the rich? What do you think the rich do with money? Isn't that the prices will go up anyway whatever the rich are producing, and therefore consumers will pay the difference?

Everytime I see a proposal like that I scratch my head.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

mkm wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 amWhy higher taxes for the rich?
Because Red has projects in mind and if Red needs $X, taking it from the fewest people will fuel the least outrage, and the rich have the most money.
mkm wrote:What do you think the rich do with money? Isn't that the prices will go up anyway whatever the rich are producing, and therefore consumers will pay the difference?
Could you rephrase this? I don’t know what you are saying.
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm -Fix Electoral College (National Popular Vote Bill).
100% agreed there, I’d totally abolish the electoral college, since it was designed to favor the votes of states, not individual people. Why should we give all the power to states, especially when the distribution of electoral votes per state is not equally dispersed? Under this system, I think it’s borderline offensive to call the United States a democracy.
Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm -Increase regulation of corporations harmful impact on environment.
What does this mean? Will you levy carbon/methane taxes on corporations?
Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm -Legalize medicinal marijuana, decriminalize smoking of it.
I’d take it a step further and decriminalize the consumption of all drugs.
Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm -Create more education programs to encourage safer sex (or even celibacy if you want to go further), in order to stop the spread of AIDS and other STDs.
Abstinance-only education programs are completely ineffective, since teens who undergo these programs are not more likely to delay the initiation of sexual activity or reduce their number of sexual partners than others who don’t undergo these programs. http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/public ... y-programs

I agree that said educational programs should focus more on safe sex and the use of contraception.
Red wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:11 pm -Offer support to nations if they are heavily attacked, plagued, or being hit by a natural disaster or famine by sending troops and other aid.
Isn’t this the UN’s job? Why should America always intervene in foreign affairs, especially when we end up establishing even worse governments/terrorist factions?