My Plans for My Youtube Channel

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

My Plans for My Youtube Channel

Post by Red »

Ever since I was 11, I've always had the drive to create a successful YouTube channel, however I never quite knew what I should base it around. I used to think maybe video games, or maybe the arts and entertainment, but after much contemplation, I have decided what it should be.

I wish to create a channel dedicated to edutainment across various categories. Under the name ScholaRed (thanks brimstone), I plan on uploading videos relating to edutainment over the next few years.
Now, while the videos will be broad in topics, but here are the 3 categories:
  • Philosophy and Metaphysics
  • History and Social Science
  • Math and Science
I am aiming for this channel to appeal to as many people as possible, so I want to make it entertaining, with lively animations and voice overs. This video is almost precisely what I am trying to get at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLSYSIJn1k
However when I discuss history, I am not going to just talk about things how they happened like a textbook (although to be honest, I kind of get a pretentious vibe from channels on YouTube that only discuss history, since it is one of the easiest of disciplines and it isn't particularly useful. So when I do it, I'm going to try to incorporate social science and philosophy, maybe how certain historical events affect us today, etc.)

I'm also going to be throwing my own opinion in the videos as well. Think of it as a combination of Crash Course and TJ Kirk. Teaches you something, but is willing to be controversial.

I already have quite a few ideas, so I will tell you a few, so lemme know what you think. By the way, I will not discuss entertainment on my channel, as I know almost nothing about it (don't watch movies/TV, trying to drop video games), and I don't think it will fit into the channel next to the other videos.

I think my History and Philosophy series will be my most successful, as I will be able to be more in depth with the subject matter than science or math. I think I will make a lot of miniseries' as you will see, so I can be able to make more videos and not run out of ideas as quickly.
So, here is a(n incomplete) list of ideas that I have for my YouTube channel. Here is a portion of my YouTube plan, The ScholaRed Nation:
Philosophy and Metaphysics
  • The Basics of Morality- Miniseries that will discuss everything the common man needs to know about morality, from the various ethical schools of thought, to how many people perceive morality, to the Golden Rule. Will run series for as many ideas I can think of.
  • God's (Dubious) Existence- Have a lot of ideas after reading a bit of the God Delusion, will possibly discuss a little bit of the history of religion, and offer some arguments from the atheist side.
I have a few other ideas for philosophy, such as Occam's Razor, but I'm not sure if I know enough about such subjects to make a video about it, although most of these videos aren't meant to be terribly in depth.
History and Social Science
  • The Educational System- Discuss the education system, its problems, and what can be done to fix it.
  • The Electoral College- Brief video, will talk about the 4 elections where the winner lost Popular Vote but won the Electoral College (ESPECIALLY the 1876 and 2000 elections and their dubiousness. 1824 was also dubious, but JQA won neither Electoral College nor Popular Vote, but won in house due to Henry Clay and the House of Representatives and the corrupt bargain and such. That'll be discussed too. Will talk about the National Popular Vote Bill, etc.
  • The Dangers of Political Parties- Will discuss how political parties are overall harmful, dichotomous, and possibly slow down progress.
Math and Science
  • Refuting Acquinas- Miniseries where I will disprove Acquinas' 5 Proofs for God. After taking high school physics and reading the textbook on my own time, I think I can at the very least disprove his Argument from Motion.
  • Climate Change, Nuclear Power.- Discuss climate change, and how nuclear power is the answer, bitches.
  • What Makes a Genius- Video about who are geniuses, how they are geniuses, and why they are geniuses.
Sounds like I got a full plate, huh?

Now you're likely asking yourself "How the fuck can he have knowledge in all of those fields?" Well, put simply, I have about 15 books on my reading list right now, and I also am watching more YouTube videos education-related. I always have a notebook open and take notes to put into my video. I'm kind of a perfectionist too, so I will get as many details as necessary, in the most intricate way possible. When it comes to the science related videos, I might discuss the subjects a bit with the forum to make sure I have everything accurate.

So, let's hope that this all comes into fruition someday in the hopefully near future. Better said is better than well done. I kind of have a habit of not finishing what I started (for myself at least), and let's hope this doesn't end up being half a page of scribbled lines.

Cheers!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Lay Vegan

Re: My Plans for My Youtube Channel

Post by Lay Vegan »

Intriguing!

I must admit I’m a bit jealous that you’re able to cover such a wide array of topics. I’d like to think I’m somewhat knowledgeable in the area of history and social science (I’m a former psychology major) but I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing it in depth on a large platform.

Unless your videos aren’t too in-depth, I’d run your video scripts through the forum (or some other peer-reviewed source) for revision prior to uploading. Do you have a philosophy teacher? They would also be a good source.

Also, check out the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://www.iep.utm.edu

As you mentioned, I’m definitely getting a more light-hearted Crash Course/CGP Grey vibe from your channel outline. Given the rather dark nature of history, and monotony of both philosophy and history in school, I think your idea is genius. :idea:

You may want to keep it family friendly. Would be great to have your videos played in classrooms! :D
Red wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 pm Philosophy and Metaphysics
* The Basics of Morality- Miniseries that will discuss everything the common man needs to know about morality, from the various ethical schools of thought, to how many people perceive morality, to the Golden Rule. Will run series for as many ideas I can think of.
You’d be surprised at how often I’ve had to scour YouTube looking for basic philosophy/logic introductory videos for my Quantitative Reasoning class during my freshman year of college.

I assume you plan to discuss basic concepts of logic (arguments, premises, syllogisms, inductive & deductive reasoning etc.? This stuff can be particularly confusing for people (me included).

I hope your plans for your YouTube channel come to fruition!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 am I must admit I’m a bit jealous that you’re able to cover such a wide array of topics. I’d like to think I’m somewhat knowledgeable in the area of history and social science (I’m a former psychology major) but I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing it in depth on a large platform.
Well, it's more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of thing. I have learned to value knowledge want to take physics and calculus in college, so I figured that maybe if I start learning about it now, and also try to teach it to those at my level and age group, it will give me a head start of sorts. I'm a master of nothing of value, but I'd say it's good for me and others to get a start.

I'd say I'm good on the history and social sciences, since that's my specialty of sorts from what I do know. I enjoy philosophy and metaphysics, but I only know so much, so I will start with the basics and go on from there.
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 amUnless your videos aren’t too in-depth, I’d run your video scripts through the forum (or some other peer-reviewed source) for revision prior to uploading. Do you have a philosophy teacher? They would also be a good source.
As I said, I'm planning on doing that for more in depth videos. However, I don't want to rely on the forum too heavily, as after a certain point, it won't really be my video anymore.

And no, my school doesn't have any philosophy classes unfortunately. However, the internet and library have my back ;).
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 amAlso, check out the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://www.iep.utm.edu
That seems useful.
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 amAs you mentioned, I’m definitely getting a more light-hearted Crash Course/CGP Grey vibe from your channel outline. Given the rather dark nature of history, and monotony of both philosophy and history in school, I think your idea is genius. :idea:
Come on, I'm not the first one to come up with this stuff.
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 amYou may want to keep it family friendly. Would be great to have your videos played in classrooms! :D
If my videos are actually good enough to be played in classrooms, that'd honestly be one of the most gratifying experiences I ever have.
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 am You’d be surprised at how often I’ve had to scour YouTube looking for basic philosophy/logic introductory videos for my Quantitative Reasoning class during my freshman year of college.

I assume you plan to discuss basic concepts of logic (arguments, premises, syllogisms, inductive & deductive reasoning etc.? This stuff can be particularly confusing for people (me included).
That actually sounds like a good idea down the road.
Lay Vegan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 amI hope your plans for your YouTube channel come to fruition!
Fingers crossed.
I have pretty much everything I need (strong microphone, good recording and editing programs, photoshop, etc.), I just need to create a new avatar, which I am currently working on.

BTW, I'm watching a few vids from your channel, they're pretty good!
-Leonardo da Vinci
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

For learning calculus now: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

What math are you in?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I saw that channel, that dude is incredible.
What math are you in?
I'm currently taking PreCalc Honors, but I'm doing pretty average in it right now (mainly cause my teacher is kind of, for lack of a better word, ineffective), although I enjoy most of the material (except statistics, fuck that shit).
-Leonardo da Vinci