Protein Shake

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Protein Shake

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I currently make a protein shake every morning after I go to the gym. It is 450.5 calories and has 34.7 grams of protein. It also fulfills 20% of my nutritional requirements according to Cronometer. The ingredients are as follows:

• 1 Scoop Ross Products Division Plant-based Protein Powder
• 1 Cup Silk Almond, Cashew, and Plant Milk
• 1 Cup Frozen Berry Medley
• 2 Tablespoons Rolled Oats
• 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
• 1/4 Teaspoon Spirulina Powder

Would you recommend any changes? Is it even really that important to have protein after weightlifting? What do you do?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Protein Shake

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's a bit more protein than necessary. 25-30 grams is probably fine (unless you're trying to use it to fill up on). Your muscles probably don't need that much, and might be better to spread it throughout the day.
I also don't think it's critical to have post workout protein, as long as you aren't starving yourself before/during your workout. If you ate 1-2 hours before hand you're probably fine (and still digesting what you ate). If you prefer to exercise in a fasting state, though, then yes you probably need to consume some protein and carbs ASAP after your workout.

I'm a little concerned that it only fills 20% of your nutritional needs (do you mean vitamins and minerals?) but has so many calories in it.

Spirulina probably isn't as useful as it is unpalatable.
Make sure the oats are quick oats, so they've been toasted and aren't raw. That said, I don't think oats add a good texture to smoothies, but I know some people like them.
Chia is nutrient dense, but it poses a problem to convenience since it turns into a gel so quickly if you don't drink your shake fast, which makes it hard to prepare a shake and take it with you.

Peanut butter powder is a good option. Both palatable and nutrient dense, and it doesn't seem to thicken smoothies so much.