Oprah 2020? What would that look like?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Oprah 2020? What would that look like?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure if she's going to run (news is mixed).

A Booker/Oprah ticket would be interesting.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Oprah 2020? What would that look like?

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm Any thoughts?

A Booker/Oprah ticket would be interesting.
I was actually thinking about that.
Depends what her policies are though. I can't find a site that showcases any. I've never seen one episode of her show, so I wouldn't know if she discussed any of that there.

Anyone gotta link?

However, Red for president 2036.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm A Booker/Oprah ticket would be interesting.
I was thinking Oprah/Biden.

Without knowing much about her political ideas I really like the idea. Given her enormous popularity, I think it would be a slam dunk for the democrats, especially if she ran with an experienced insider like Biden.

She is obviously compassionate and I think she would be humble and honest about the areas where she lacks knowledge. Given the size of her Rolodex, I think she would surround herself with the best experts in each required field.

I know she has dabbled with veganism. Does anyone know her current status?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm Any thoughts?
Were you able to find any of her policies?

I don't think Oprah has any experience in politics/policy making. And to be honest, I don't want to see another inexperienced tv personality blunder her way into the Oval Office à la Donald Trump.

If her policies appear to be effective in improving our lives and she surrounds herself with a competent, adept cabinet, I'll consider her.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

She has no political experience, and I think the fiasco of Trump proves that this is problematic. Just like you cannot perform heart surgery without studying to become a doctor in college, you shouldn't be able to become president with no political experience.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

The elections have become nothing more than a reality show that has potential to actively influence our lives.

Years back, the Simpsons did an episode where both Presidential candidates were replaced with hostile aliens. This was revealed just before the election, and when it was mentioned that you could still vote for a third party, the aliens joked "Sure, throw your vote away!". Despite knowing they had two awful choices leading to basically the same outcome, the humans still voted for one of the aliens. (Who subsequently enslaved the human race)

I think this is still where we are at as a society, so I really just don't care anymore.

Oprah 2020, Jerry Springer 2028! (pours large glass of bourbon, sits back and watches the world burn.)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

What we need is Kanye West for president. I hear he’s planning to run as well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe he could run against Taylor Swift? Her 1950’s charm would probably appeal more to Republicans. While Kanye’s self-richeous, rather flamboyant sense of style will appeal to younger Democrats. I think we’ve got the presidential nominees for 2020 sorted out. :o :o

If there’s anything Americans need, it’s the Kardashians in the Oval Office. America is in desperate need of a fashion revolution.

Your welcome.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

It is an absolutely ridiculous idea and no doubt an attempt by the establishment to stop Bernie Sanders from winning the Democratic nomination.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Lay Vegan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 am What we need is Kanye West for president. I hear he’s planning to run as well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe he could run against Taylor Swift? Her 1950’s charm would probably appeal more to Republicans. While Kanye’s self-richeous, rather flamboyant sense of style will appeal to younger Democrats. I think we’ve got the presidential nominees for 2020 sorted out. :o :o

If there’s anything Americans need, it’s the Kardashians in the Oval Office. America is in desperate need of a fashion revolution.

Your welcome.
Hahaha, well done. A+

Yup. American politics is now just a reality show...
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

EquALLity wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pm She has no political experience
Political experience is more important before the election than after. Her popularity and funding potential will make up for this lack in political experience. After the election (if elected) she would most likely have experienced politicians help her with the Washington inside stuff.
EquALLity wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pmand I think the fiasco of Trump proves that this is problematic.
The Trump fiasco shows what happens when one puts a narcissist with the mental age of 13 in office.

I'm surprised that you would write that one case study "proves that this is problematic."

EquALLity wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pmJust like you cannot perform heart surgery without studying to become a doctor in college, you shouldn't be able to become president with no political experience.
An awful example. Let's start listing some of the most important skills needed to be a great president.

Being a good communicator (this includes being a good diplomat and a good public speaker)
Knowing one's own weaknesses
Consulting and listening to experts
Having the ability to make decisions when some will suffer at the benefit of a greater number
Being a rational, critical thinker
Being unselfish
Being compassionate

These skills could come from a multitude of different professions.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.