Movies that are conscious of animal life having value

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Deva
Diet: Vegan

Movies that are conscious of animal life having value

Post by Deva »

Lately some movies I've seen have been more pro-vegan than I remember movies I've seen in the past being.

The New Star Wars movie that just came out had several scenes, some obvious and others less so which related to ethical treatment of animals. Another movie, (which I watched specifically because I am vegan), was Okja, and obviously, if you've seen it, it has a lot of parallels to how we raise/kill animals for food.

[SPOILER ALERT]

________

Chewbaka unable to eat a bird he killed, freeing the animals used for racing, and the snow foxes being shown to embody interests fleeing the empire when they land on the base.

_________

Have you seen any other movies or shows which reflect society's increasing level of awareness of animals?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Movies that are conscious of animal life having value

Post by PsYcHo »

Just thinking on it, several animated movies from my childhood featured animals as the main characters.

Maybe some of those writers were intentionally giving animals characteristics that made them more ..sentient... for a reason.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Deva

Post by Deva »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 am Just thinking on it, several animated movies from my childhood featured animals as the main characters.

Maybe some of those writers were intentionally giving animals characteristics that made them more ..sentient... for a reason.
Yes, come to think of it there were quite a few movies about animals. I just seem to also be catching connections to the connection between food and animals within otherwise unrelated movies.

I just saw a bit of Moana, the new Disney movie, and there's a scene where she says "that's good pork", and then her pet pig looks at her with kind of sad eyes and she fumbles to apologize. I mean, I guess its meant to be a joke, but to me the implications are pretty obvious at the same time lol... I wonder if I'd notice it if I weren't already thinking along these lines, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PGyy4IRytI
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Deva wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 am I just saw a bit of Moana, the new Disney movie, and there's a scene where she says "that's good pork", and then her pet pig looks at her with kind of sad eyes and she fumbles to apologize.
Perhaps scenes like this are "planting the seed". It's a non-confrontational way to suggest maybe persons should think about where there food comes from, without the SHAME! tactics that some prefer. I'm remembering The Little Mermaid and the scene where the cook is trying to stuff Sebastian, so maybe Disney has some writers with Vegan/Vegetarian leanings..
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Deva wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm Lately some movies I've seen have been more pro-vegan than I remember movies I've seen in the past being.
I've noticed that too. It makes me feel like we're on the verge of a cultural shift in how we view animal agriculture

Deva wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 am I just saw a bit of Moana, the new Disney movie, and there's a scene where she says "that's good pork", and then her pet pig looks at her with kind of sad eyes and she fumbles to apologize. I mean, I guess its meant to be a joke, but to me the implications are pretty obvious at the same time lol... I wonder if I'd notice it if I weren't already thinking along these lines, though.
There's also the chicken. She's against cooking him when some old man in the village wants to (he has a name too... hay hay or something), and then Maui wants to eat him but then sort of changes his mind and comes to appreciate the chicken as a non-food being by the end.

ModVegan did a video on the new Trolls movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDuqhRUyPRg

I saw the parallels too.