cautious benefit

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: cautious benefit

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:
miniboes wrote:Have you guys heard about soy beans causing manboobs? I haven't found any solid science on it and although I suppose it's a myth it makes be reductant to buy soy milk.
Haven't seen any evidence and sounds absolutely absurd. It's currently very popular to demonize soy products (without solid evidence), so I don't take every claim seriously.
I suppose so. I guess I should make the switch from coconut to soy then, as soy is half the price.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:I suppose so. I guess I should make the switch from coconut to soy then, as soy is half the price.
Soy milk is great for protein, while coconut milk's fats that are mostly saturated fat. So nutritiously speaking I would prefer soy milk, but I try not to make a big deal about it either (coconut can be great for cooking and ice cream). We did have some discussions about different milks here by the way:
http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=20&t=137
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:
miniboes wrote:I suppose so. I guess I should make the switch from coconut to soy then, as soy is half the price.
Soy milk is great for protein, while coconut milk's fats that are mostly saturated fat. So nutritiously speaking I would prefer soy milk, but I try not to make a big deal about it either (coconut can be great for cooking and ice cream). We did have some discussions about different milks here by the way:
http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=20&t=137
I'm not talking about actual coconut milk. Talking about this stuff:
Well, it's like, 5% coconut milk.

I don't really care for protein, although that's nice. It's mainly the price tag for me.
This is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9iz8d_Dj4

A local pancake restaurant uses soy milk in their pancakes. The best damn pancakes I know of. I've been going there since I was old enough to say milk, so to find this out was really cool.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote: I'm not talking about actual coconut milk. Talking about this stuff:
Well, it's like, 5% coconut milk.

I don't really care for protein, although that's nice. It's mainly the price tag for me.
This is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9iz8d_Dj4
It's not that I'm concerned about your protein intake. All I meant to say is that it's just nutritiously better. The coconut milk you were talking about still has relatively much saturated fat in it and is mostly water; it's value comes from the added calcium and vitamins (great if you're not taking B12 supplements and never get into the sun, although you're probably not getting enough from motherless milks and yogurts). But then again, most motherless milks are mostly water.
miniboes wrote:A local pancake restaurant uses soy milk in their pancakes. The best damn pancakes I know of. I've been going there since I was old enough to say milk, so to find this out was really cool.
That's awesome. :) Never heard of any pancake restaurant in my region that uses soy milk.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:It's not that I'm concerned about your protein intake. All I meant to say is that it's just nutritiously better. The coconut milk you were talking about still has relatively much saturated fat in it and is mostly water; it's value comes from the added calcium and vitamins (great if you're not taking B12 supplements and never get into the sun, although you're probably not getting enough from motherless milks and yogurts). But then again, most motherless milks are mostly water.
I've no doubt you're right on the nutrition part. Dr. Greger has said similar things in his videos on soy and coconut milk (good chance you've got it from him I guess :P). The calcium is what I drink coconut milk for really, as the only leafy greens I really like are broccoli and spinach (which is not a good source of calcium due to some chemical shenanigans) i'm not very high on the calcium intake. 2 glasses of motherless milk a day is 60% of the RDA, so that covers me pretty well. Soy milk does the same though, and it appears to be superior in every way (except taste maybe, haven't tried).
Volenta wrote:
miniboes wrote:That's awesome. :) Never heard of any pancake restaurant in my region that uses soy milk.
They're super subtle about it. You've got the allergies info box somewhere in a corner and it says like "if you have any allergy we can make a special pancake for you, in case you're lactose intolerant all our pancakes should be baked with soy milk dough". It might still contain eggs though, should ask about that next time I go there.

Do you guys like plant yoghurts? I bought one recently and it was delicious, but it bulked with sugar.
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Another source for calcium is fortified juices like orange juice (thanks PrincessPeach!). Some people stay away from fruit juices because of the sugar, but I tend not to care to much about that (surely not with a relatively low BMI).
miniboes wrote:Do you guys like plant yoghurts? I bought one recently and it was delicious, but it bulked with sugar.
I always love to have a dessert, and there is not much choice in the matter as a vegan. I think soy yogurt is great and eat it practically every day with some muesli.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Volenta wrote:Another source for calcium is fortified juices like orange juice (thanks PrincessPeach!). Some people stay away from fruit juices because of the sugar, but I tend not to care to much about that (surely not with a relatively low BMI).
Yep, fortified orange juice can be a better source, because of the high acid content.

But really, calcium is a rock, it's dirt cheap. You can also buy bulk calcium powder online if you're worried about it. Save a bundle. :)

It'd be really awesome to have a vegan co-op and buy stuff in enormous bulk amounts for pennies a day; would need to have enough vegans in one place though.

Volenta wrote:I think soy yogurt is great and eat it practically every day with some muesli.
I rarely eat it (I should eat more), but if you're eating it every day, you really might want to experiment with DIY. Seems like a couple pitchers of soy milk could make enough for a week or so.

What's your daily expenditure on soy yogurt?
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I rarely eat it (I should eat more), but if you're eating it every day, you really might want to experiment with DIY. Seems like a couple pitchers of soy milk could make enough for a week or so.

What's your daily expenditure on soy yogurt?
You're probably right price wise. It costs me around €0,55 a day. It's just that I don't have much confidence in being able to make it tasty. I'm okay with paying a bit—or actually much—more in this case.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Volenta wrote: You're probably right price wise. It costs me around €0,55 a day. It's just that I don't have much confidence in being able to make it tasty. I'm okay with paying a bit—or actually much—more in this case.
Ouch, that's like half my food budget.

What's the ingredient list of the kind you like?
Can you buy probiotics nearby? Using a powder is much easier than trying to reserve a culture from batch to batch. Although reserving a bit is also free...

Also: Try soaking the soybeans, then rinsing, first when you make the soymilk. That might help reduce the beaniness which some people don't like.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

It's admirable how cheap you two live. I have no idea how much I spend on food each day, but it's certainly more than €5,-. Do you guys eat a lot of fruit/nuts? What is your main source of calories? Unrelated to costs, do you use omega 3 supplements or flax seeds? If the latter, how do you consume them?

Yeah, still kinda new to being vegan.
- David Frum