cautious benefit

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: cautious benefit

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:I actually do try to eat 2 tablespoons of flax seeds every day
Do you buy whole or broken flax seeds?
Also, lijnzaad = flax seeds?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:Do you buy whole or broken flax seeds?
I'm buying whole flax seeds, and then grind them up myself in the blender. Dr. Michael Greger has some great video's on his site if you want to learn more about it.

Yes, flax seeds is lijnzaad in Dutch. ;)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Do you buy whole or broken flax seeds?
I suggest buying them whole, because they go rancid more slowly that way (the oils are all encapsulated in the hull and protected), and then grind them up before you use them.
But if you use them quickly enough, you can buy them already ground up, which is more convenient.

Sometimes they're sold ground up, in an opaque (light can't get through) nitrogen flushed package to prevent rancidity, and that's nice. They tend to be pretty shelf stable that way. But once you open it, they'll go fast. Must be refrigerated, at a pretty low temperature, and used up quickly.

lijnzaad, sounds like a phonetic conversion from linseed. So, yes, that would be flax seed. Linseed oil is usually not edible flax seed oil though, since it is processed differently (and very rancid/partially polymerized), that's just good for paint, and sealing things.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Anybody got an idea for what to do with all these hazel- and walnuts?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Anybody got an idea for what to do with all these hazel- and walnuts?
I would freeze any walnuts you can't eat. They are best eaten uncooked.

The hazelnuts, you can use to make nut cheese. They'll go fast. The nut cheese can be refrigerated for a fairly long time, but it probably won't last long on account of how delicious it is.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I would freeze any walnuts you can't eat. They are best eaten uncooked.
We still have walnuts of a year old that have not started to degrade the slightest bit. Freezing does not seem necessary because of the thick shell.
The hazelnuts, you can use to make nut cheese. They'll go fast. The nut cheese can be refrigerated for a fairly long time, but it probably won't last long on account of how delicious it is
Yea, that's pretty nice as an alternative to peanut butter. I might try making me some hazelnut milk too.

I tried unsweetened soy milk, I didn't really like it. I blended it with some watermelon, now I like it.
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: We still have walnuts of a year old that have not started to degrade the slightest bit. Freezing does not seem necessary because of the thick shell.
If they are in a cool, dry, dark place they can last a while, but I wouldn't chance it. The fats in them can still decompose and go rancid without much visible sign. Better to keep them as cold as possible if you're keeping them for years.