World's most stupid sports

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

World's most stupid sports

Post by Jebus »

Triple jump - I get the interest in who can jump the highest or farthest, or even who can jump the highest with a pole but what the hell is the point in who can jump the farthest in three jumps?

Swimming- This could be one of the world's greatest sports but the way it is currently presented is ridiculous. Swimming should be about who can swim the fastest, not about who can swim the fastest on his back or with other restrictions. There is no running competition where it's about who can run the fastest backwards or with his arms swinging around, so why do they have to do this in swimming? There are four different strokes (I'm sure I can invent 10 more in a few minutes if I want) and one athlete can pick up a bunch of medals at the same Olympic games and then be known as the greatest athlete of all time. Absolutely ridiculous.I propose reducing swimming to three events. These events would determine who can swim the fastest 50 meters. 500 meters and 5000 meters.

Formula 1 and other motor "sports" - Talk about extreme environmental waste. These sports are the last thing planet earth needs at the moment. I have no idea why Formula 1 even gets time on ESPN and other sports channels. Where is the sport involved? The drivers themselves admit that the car and the mechanics have a bigger part in the final outcome.

Walking- I don't know who came up with the ridiculous idea of who can walk the fastest. Did the early humans walk as fast as they could when being chased by a lion? No, I believe they ran.

Cycling- This could also be one of the world's greatest sports if it was simply about who can ride her bicycle the fastest without any assistance from others. Instead it has turned into a team sport where only one person on the team gets any credit. I propose making it an individual sport where it's about who finishes first and the only restrictions are that you can't intentionally touch or block any of your opponents.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: World's most stupid sports

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Formula 1 and other motor "sports" - Talk about extreme environmental waste. These sports are the last thing planet earth needs at the moment. I have no idea why Formula 1 even gets time on ESPN and other sports channels. Where is the sport involved? The drivers themselves admit that the car and the mechanics have a bigger part in the final outcome.
Hopefully, some day in the future they'll convert them to electrical cars, because as it stands, it's likely the most harmful (and boring) sport I can think of, other than hunting and fishing sports.
Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 amCycling- This could also be one of the world's greatest sports if it was simply about who can ride her bicycle the fastest without any assistance from others. Instead it has turned into a team sport where only one person on the team gets any credit. I propose making it an individual sport where it's about who finishes first and the only restrictions are that you can't intentionally touch or block any of your opponents.
As a cyclist (not a professional one, but anyway. . .) I concur.
Personally, I think most sports are pretty boring to watch. It's something I'd rather play myself to actually get engaged with it. Like with video games, I'd rather be playing the game myself most of the time rather than watch some dude on YouTube play with with terrible commentary. I don't look down upon you if you enjoy watching sports, since I understand the appeal it has for some people.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Triple jump - I get the interest in who can jump the highest or farthest, or even who can jump the highest with a pole but what the hell is the point in who can jump the farthest in three jumps?
Seems like just a "who can jump the farthest", but one jump was too chaotic so it's like averaging three tries?

Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Swimming- This could be one of the world's greatest sports but the way it is currently presented is ridiculous. Swimming should be about who can swim the fastest, not about who can swim the fastest on his back or with other restrictions.
Yes, style just adds unnecessary subjectivity to it.
Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am These events would determine who can swim the fastest 50 meters. 500 meters and 5000 meters.
Or maybe who can swim the farthest in one breath?
There are deep diving sports, but I don't think the olympics does them. That's pretty exciting.
Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Where is the sport involved? The drivers themselves admit that the car and the mechanics have a bigger part in the final outcome.
I think you could see it more like robot wars. It's more of a challenge in engineering, which is cool (if only they spent more time on the technology than the drivers).
An electric based event could do some real good and help inspire innovation.
Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Walking- I don't know who came up with the ridiculous idea of who can walk the fastest. Did the early humans walk as fast as they could when being chased by a lion? No, I believe they ran.
This is the equivalent of the ridiculous style restrictions in swimming. Just arbitrarily require both feet to not be off the ground at the same time.
See, ground sports have this style stuff too. :)
Jebus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am Cycling- This could also be one of the world's greatest sports if it was simply about who can ride her bicycle the fastest without any assistance from others.
There's another where a lot comes down to the technology.
I guess it wouldn't be as exciting without the support team?

How about all of the silly arbitrary rules sports like Football, Basketball, etc.?

I like technology competitions more, like the competition to build the best human powered flying machine. Technological innovation and design is much more interesting.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

RedAppleGP wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pmHopefully, some day in the future they'll convert them to electrical cars
This will probably happen soon as Formula E is getting a bunch of coverage on CNN. However, there won't be much reduction in environmental waste as the production, tyre usage, and transport are the main polluters. Hopefully, like Brimstone mentioned, it will inspire enough people to make it worthwhile.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:29 pmOr maybe who can swim the farthest in one breath?
There are deep diving sports, but I don't think the olympics does them. That's pretty exciting.
I think they had underwater swimming at the early Olympics but it's unlikely we will see it again given the risk factor. This guy would have broken the world record had he not been disqualified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vox9KOxC1ZA
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.