Am I "FREE?"

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Am I "FREE?"

Post by PsYcHo »

I live in the land of the "FREE ". ( Murica), but I questioned today whether I am actually free.

I pondered whether I could go outside my residence, get naked, and lay in my front yard. ( :shock: )

I did purchase my land. I would not ( for this scenario ) leave the property that I have acquired. I never voted for a law to outlaw persons being naked in public. But if I were to lay in my yard (naked), Men with guns would appear, tell me to put on my clothes (or they might shoot/kill ) me, take me to a cage, and make me stay there until I acquiesced to their demands. (Likely after forcing me to give them money for my "crime" of not hurting anyone but doing what I want to do.)

If I were "Free", shouldn't I be allowed to do this on my property?
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Am I "FREE?"

Post by miniboes »

Are you absolutely free? No. Do you enjoy more freedom than the majority of world citizens? Yes, definitely.

When we say someone is 'free', 'happy' or 'dumb' we don't mean any of those things in an absolute sense. I may be happy, but I'm not strolling around in perfect bliss all day. We use these terms to describe where we stand relative to other people; I am not in perfect bliss, but I may be happier than 80% of people and that would make it fair enough to call me happy. Even though I'm sad every now and then.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

There are some unnecessarily conservative laws. You are allowed to lie naked in your front yard in many places, though; it's probably down to city ordinance and deed restrictions that you can not. You don't really own your property outright unless you're outside those jurisdictions. There are a lot of things you can't do on your property, largely because it affects the value of your neighbor's property. Lying naked in your yard hurts your neighbors' property values because not as many people want to buy a house with that kind of view.
Werther

Post by Werther »

As long as you wear a leaf in the important area, God would not mind, but be careful to not fall asleep, the guy likes stealing ribs.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Werther wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:43 am As long as you wear a leaf in the important area, God would not mind, but be careful to not fall asleep, the guy likes stealing ribs.
:lol:

You sir, have made my day. Nice.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.