Mystic Vegans

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Mystic Vegans

Post by Twizelby »

There is a certain type of vegan that drives me nuts. These mystical health guru vegans kill me. It's not so much that they are interested in diet, I'm cool with that and I'm always interested in what studies they provide as many of them do cite sources, it's that they advertise it as a f****ing cure all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfzZAPrSKA

The people who think that anything unnatural will kill you (vaccines), cancer doesn't occur in nature, and organic fruit will keep you alive forever. It's like atheism+...Vegan+
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Mystic Vegans

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I agree. I wish scepticism was more prevalent in the vegan community.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
CryoVirus

Post by CryoVirus »

I have a few of those types in my school. During a conversation one of them walked up because my freind was talking about how he likes to hunt, (I am in Louisiana keep in mind.) I was saying that I count that as destroying the ecosystem, it's not as good as you think, ect., ect. The other guy (His name is Daniel) listened for a bit before just exploding on my freind (whose name is Mike) about how it's wrong, and that (Daniel is Christian too) he kills God's creations and he was litterally screaming at my freind before I finally got a few other people (a couple classmates) to make Daniel calm down, he finally did, but me and my freind were having a small debate, a freindly one. But when a Vegan (I have no problem with Vegans, I'm trying to get into it myself) just explodes on a person....it does make the community reputation drop. And about the "cure all" thing, during Flu season when everyone was getting shots, a few people were talking about how painful the shots are and such. and yet again , (Not Daniel, it's a girl, I have no idea what her name is) someone begins yelling saying it's unatrual to get shots to cure diseases, i only heard about it happening, i wasn't there. but it sounded like she was saying turning Vegan solves sickness of all kinds. *shakes head* I really don't care for people
~With a heart of Ice and an unbreakable Will, My soul is of the untouchable~

~CryoVirus 2012
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This is why I go much harder on fellow vegans when they say something absurd, incorrect, woo/moonbatty. To an extent, we are in the same community, and they will be seen to represent veganism. I want them to have the right information.

When a meat eater goes on about nutty things, I don't usually consider it worth my time, and just tell them they're idiots instead of trying very hard to convince them (if they're receptive, I'll explain why of course, but otherwise I leave them to it).
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

sadly i must admit that this is what introduced me to the vegan community (back when I was a new-ager). much of this happens in the newaged community, such as Teal Scott, (or did she change her name to teal swan?) whom is a "mystic vegan" altho she has not advocated for it in her books or videos, and its hard to tell if she does it for spiritual or ethical reasonings. She is also a possible candidate for 'verses'.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I guess every group will have their radicals that will simply go too far, whether it be islam, atheism or veganism. It's an unfortunate reality. It's important to realize this though, and I wish more people did, because the whole group should not be judged by the actions of the radical individual.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:I guess every group will have their radicals that will simply go too far, whether it be islam, atheism or veganism. It's an unfortunate reality. It's important to realize this though, and I wish more people did, because the whole group should not be judged by the actions of the radical individual.
True. But I also see it as the group's responsibility to contain or control their own radicals, or if they can not, to distance themselves from the radicals by branching off and delineating the ideological differences clearly through a clearly different identity.