Seperate grill for veg

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Seperate grill for veg

Post by Twizelby »

So I was watching vegan peach and while I agreed with most of her comments I took issue with one thing, she asked the cooks to grill her veg burger separate from a batch of meat burgers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-xMCw5YEk
I kind of get it, but to be so adamant just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and probably does more harm then good. I'm doing this to boycott not to annoy people. As I have said before the only people I have ever changed have asked me in earnest why I'm vegan. I just don't try to be obnoxious but still speak up on the topic if it is brought up.
Twizelby

Re: Seperate grill for veg

Post by Twizelby »

What do you think? do you check for separate friers and grills for your food?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

definitely yes. Not only from a disgust factor, i worry about cross contamination. Ive had fries in the past that unknowingly was deep fried in the same vat as fish and chicken. I could taste it in the fries. If i know that a restaurant doesn't use a different grill or have a reserved spot for non-meat items, i will not eat there.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

As VA said, you can taste cross contamination sometimes, it's not pleasant.

Of course, if we want a separate grill or frier, we shouldn't pretend it's a moral issue. It's more one of, "that's gross" - and it's something we should be mindful of, and try to limit to the bounds of reason to avoid being OCD about it.

It's also important that, if we are very picky about something, we tell people that. Like: "this isn't because I'm vegan, this is because I'm OCD and I'm grossed out by it, which is totally unrelated- a lot of vegans don't care, and that's totally fine.".

It's like, the waiter ejaculating into your soup. There's no reason it shouldn't be just fine to eat (the hot soup should have killed anything in it); he even added more nutrition to it! But... eew.
There's a certain point of personal disgust that's hard to overcome, no matter how you rationalize it.

I try to explain it like that; most people understand.

If you're not grossed out by it, and don't mind the taste, then that's cool.
Some of us are, though, and that's hard to overcome. It's also something that, to a certain point, I don't think it's necessarily useful to overcome.

The more disgusted I am by meat, particularly if I use an analogy (like the semen in your soup one), the more people will think about what they're eating, and how others could view it as disgusting. And, how it might actually be disgusting.

Finding disgusting things disgusting may have some utility.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Ugh, so I guess that's why some of the places I've gone to had french fries that tasted like fish.

As for having a separate grill. I don't think I'll really need to worry about this, since whenever I go to a restaurant now it's always a Vegan food only restaurant. Though if I had a reason to worry about cross contamination, I certainly would try to inform the cook of my preferences to have my food stay separated from the rest.