Joylent

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Joylent

Post by DarlBundren »

Hey guys,

Recently, I have started researching Soylent-like products. I live in Europe and the best option we have got here seems to be Joylent (or Jimmy Joy, as it has been renamed). It's cheaper than Soylent and, in terms of nutrition, is probably a better alternative. What do you think of it? They have both a vegan and a vegetarian version. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/jimmy-joy/app/public/ckeditor_assets/attachments/169/label_banaan_vegan140x200def.pdf
If I lived in the U.S., I would like to try Mealsquares (it's mostly organic whole-food and I have got the feeling that chewing on something is a good idea). Joylent produces bars too, but it's not whole food and they only provide 20% of your daily intake (therefore, three meals a day would not be enough). Joylent's bars (Twenny bars) are cheaper though. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/jimmy-joy/app/public/ckeditor_assets/attachments/119/vanilla_twennybar.pdf

The other option would be developing my own DIY concoction, but it would probably be more expensive and time-consuming.

Any thoughts?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Joylent

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DIY will definitely be cheaper. Note the ingredients. Nothing very expensive there, and these things sell at a premium.

For the most part, you can basically just take a multi, and have oatmeal and a protein shake. Or mix the protein in with your quick oats and make high protein oatmeal.
Even if you did want a custom blend with particular vitamins, it would be a little more upfront because you'd have to buy in bulk, but if you add it up it's much cheaper.

Mealsquares are made from milk and egg. I don't think there's any mainly whole food nutritionally complete vegan meal.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

brimstoneSalad wrote:DIY will definitely be cheaper. Note the ingredients. Nothing very expensive there, and these things sell at a premium
I have just found out there's a whole site about DIY soylent-like shakes. What do you think about this one?
https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/sean-superfood-v3
brimstoneSalad wrote: For the most part, you can basically just take a multi, and have oatmeal and a protein shake. Or mix the protein in with your quick oats and make high protein oatmeal.
Right, but it would not be something you could actually live on. There are people who eat/drink nothing but soylent.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mealsquares are made from milk and egg. I don't think there's any mainly whole food nutritionally complete vegan meal.
I don't think there is. Twenny bars are vegetarian too. I wish there were though, a whole food meal would definitely be better than a shake. Maybe I could create my own whole food bars :idea:
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 am
brimstoneSalad wrote:DIY will definitely be cheaper. Note the ingredients. Nothing very expensive there, and these things sell at a premium
I have just found out there's a whole site about DIY soylent-like shakes. What do you think about this one?
https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/sean-superfood-v3
I didn't know that site existed either, that's pretty cool.

I'm not a big fan of rice protein (grain protein in general is low in lysine and higher in methionine [not as bad as meat], I prefer pea protein although it may be worse to mix up as a shake).
DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 am I don't think there is. Twenny bars are vegetarian too. I wish there were though, a whole food meal would definitely be better than a shake. Maybe I could create my own whole food bars :idea:
You could do that.
Start with this, maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62DJHyHys4

You could integrate more superfoods and beans. Something like black beans would be really good, and go well with chocolate.
Swap the splenda out for pure sucralose/stevia or something so you avoid the extra empty calories in the dextrose.

As it stands, it's under $6 a day, but you could beat that by saving money on several of the more expensive ingredients.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

brimstone wrote:You could do that.
Start with this, maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62DJHyHys4
Wow, that was not bad at all. Yes, I could add black beans, baby spinach, flaxseeds and some spices too. I can do without sugar, frankly, I don't want it to 'taste too much'. I don't know if they sell canola oil here, though, and I have never seen TVP in all my life. What's the difference between TVP and regular protein powder?

Do you think I could actually live on that stuff most of the time?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm Wow, that was not bad at all. Yes, I could add black beans, baby spinach, flaxseeds and some spices too.
I'd go for Chia, since flax has a short shelf life. That will give you omega 3, then you would not need canola oil.
DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm I can do without sugar, frankly, I don't want it to 'taste too much'.
It's important to make it palatable, but you could go the savory route instead.
DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm What's the difference between TVP and regular protein powder?
TVP is crunchy like granola. It's not a powder, it's granular. Powder would give you more of a sloppy consistent mush. TVP also contains fiber, and a wider assortment of other vitamins and minerals.

Be wary of making it too gross.
DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm Do you think I could actually live on that stuff most of the time?
Sure. If I were going to do that, I'd use a wider array of ingredients, though, and overshoot nutritional goals a bit more.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Sure. If I were going to do that, I'd use a wider array of ingredients, though, and overshoot nutritional goals a bit more

What would you include? If I added baby spinach/broccoli (I don't know if broccoli would make it taste gross, though) and nuts it would already include all of Greger's daily dozen.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

A little bit of baby pureed spinach might not make it terrible. Chocolate is actually pretty good at covering tastes (cocoa powder is also a super food itself). I would avoid broccoli in this, which has too strong a taste.

Be sure to make it a little sweet, though. It would be pretty nasty without.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

crono 1.jpg
crono2.jpg
crono3.jpg
brimstoneSalad wrote:...
It's not perfect yet. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I don't see RAE
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2054

You need to lower the calorie count. Select the foods and identify which are giving you the most calories and the least nutrients.

Probably the whole wheat flour and the carrots.

You can replace the carrots with pumpkin puree. You can replace the whole wheat flour with more beans.

You also need more fat in these. More nuts and seeds. But you have to lower the calories from carbs to make room in your calorie budget.