Any tips on how...

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
LPMalakye
Diet: Vegan

Any tips on how...

Post by LPMalakye »

...To properly start a youtube channel?

I have a pet project I would like to get started on but...I don't know where to start XD Nor do I have any experience in the art of content creating and was wondering if anyone can give me the "Do's and Don'ts", and ANY general ideas and tips to keep in mind when starting a project like this...to give a little more detail...

I have a general idea of WHAT I want to present to my audience (if there is any demand for it) but don't know how to put it into action...like if I want to have an intro or not and if I do what is allowed so I don't get copyright flagged, what kind of equipment/hardware do I NEED to have...ok really I want to do this to capture and captivate an audience even if I don't have one (mostly something to do to have my voice heard, project of interest and to occupy my time) I am not expecting to make any kind of money off of this so I am not expecting people to give me Jedi level wisdom here but I really have NO IDEA where to start. Thank you for your responses
knot
Master in Training

Re: Any tips on how...

Post by knot »

What content are you creating? I'd say it depends a lot on what you're trying to do. If it's a market where there's already an abundance of supply (anti-social justice, pranks, game commentary, etc.) then you will need very good video editing skills and some kind of charismatic personality to have a chance of competing, I guess...

On the other hand, if you're an expert in some niché field, you can get 100k+ views on very low-grade videos if you present and explain a hard subject well. All you need is screen-recording program like OBS, maybe some powerpoint slides, a mic that doesn't kill people's ears and a fire alarm that's NOT beeping in the background :mrgreen:

example of what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY
LPMalakye

Post by LPMalakye »

knot wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:37 am What content are you creating? I'd say it depends a lot on what you're trying to do. If it's a market where there's already an abundance of supply (anti-social justice, pranks, game commentary, etc.) then you will need very good video editing skills and some kind of charismatic personality to have a chance of competing, I guess...

On the other hand, if you're an expert in some niché field, you can get 100k+ views on very low-grade videos if you present and explain a hard subject well. All you need is screen-recording program like OBS, maybe some powerpoint slides, a mic that doesn't kill people's ears and a fire alarm that's NOT beeping in the background :mrgreen:

example of what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY
Thank you for your reply ^_^ and your help. I am just testing the waters at the moment to see if I even have what it takes to even get through the process. Thank you again
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

What would you like to talk about, exactly?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I'll give one very general advice; just start making it and don't be too perfectionistic about it. Truth is, it's pretty hard to make the youtube videos that you're probably watching most of the time. At the start, the quality of your videos will almost inevitably be a lot worse. You just gotta learn and get better. The worst thing you can do is to want to create a perfect video right off the start, get discouraged and give up.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
LPMalakye

Post by LPMalakye »

miniboes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:05 am I'll give one very general advice; just start making it and don't be too perfectionistic about it. Truth is, it's pretty hard to make the youtube videos that you're probably watching most of the time. At the start, the quality of your videos will almost inevitably be a lot worse. You just gotta learn and get better. The worst thing you can do is to want to create a perfect video right off the start, get discouraged and give up.
Yeah I can definitely relate. I tend to be real picky about anything I work on and analyze it to death. Thank you ^^
Generally Acceptable

Post by Generally Acceptable »

Although I agree with miniboes, the video you make has to be of at least some quality. For example, invest in an affordable microphone with decent sound quality. Speak with confidence, don't screw around by talking about irrelevant stuff, and make sure that the video you want to make is worthwhile is some aspect.
Good luck!