Magnesium supplements

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Magnesium supplements

Post by DarlBundren »

So, sometimes I like to read abstracts on pubmed and I have just come across this article on magnesium. If you are familiar with scientific literature, you know that you don't often hear something like this:
The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended
Does anyone of you take magnesium supplements? Do you think it is worth trying?

Related abstract:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Magnesium supplements

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I haven't read that. You probably get plenty of magnesium, though, if you're eating a mostly whole food diet (favoring whole grains, eating lots of beans, etc.).
Tofu is also often coagulated with Magnesium Chloride (nigari). Unlikely a problem for vegans eating a healthy diet, unless you have other metabolic or digestive issues.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Yeah, I eat a mostly whole-food, plant-based diet, so I should be fine. According to Wikipedia, 57% of the US population does not meet the US RDA for dietary intake of magnesium, though.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DarlBundren wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm Yeah, I eat a mostly whole-food, plant-based diet, so I should be fine. According to Wikipedia, 57% of the US population does not meet the US RDA for dietary intake of magnesium, though.
That's insane. Apparently, meat is pretty low in magnesium, and they're not making up for it with soft drinks and white bread.

Comparing 100 calories of beef to chickpeas, the beef has about 2% of magnesium, and the chickpeas 7%.
White pasta has 3% for 100 calories, and whole wheat has 10%.
You should be safe, but magnesium -- if this is the public health issue some of these sources are suggesting -- could be one of many reasons a vegan diet is healthier.