dairy calcium leach?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

dairy calcium leach?

Post by Twizelby »

I'm trying to find out if the claim that I hear some vegans make "Dairy leaches calcium from bones" is accurate. I have seen one harvard study from 2004 that seems to point to that, but I like my claims to be backed by more than one study. The other one I see is the China study which has always looked like bad science to me because of the difference between diseases of poverty and diseases of affluence. I am open to be proven wrong about that but it looked a little bit to bias to me. So if you have citations you can give me that would be great.
PrincessPeach

Re: dairy calcium leach?

Post by PrincessPeach »

I believe the theory has something to do with the calcium magnesium ratio in animal milks..
I have no idea how credible this site is but
http://www.notmilk.com/dairy/calciumrecap.txt
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Calcium is used as a pH buffer in the body, so hypothetically, a low internal pH would cause calcium to be leeched from the body.

Metabolism of protein for energy seems to be able to do this, but dairy isn't very high in protein (aside from skim milk products, dairy is more saturated fat).

The claim is plausible, but mostly irrelevant, because dairy is unhealthy for other, much more substantiated reasons.

Calcium is a mineral; literally a rock, the pulverized form of which you can eat directly, without the need to eat cow secretions.

Dairy isn't a particularly good source of anything aside from casein (which is useful in making latex free condoms, and a few others things, but is not particularly useful nutritionally- and is a problem for many people) and saturated fat.
Neither of those things are particularly exciting from a nutritional standpoint.

The only utility in dairy comes from, unfortunately, its wide availability due to inexplicably (except for ignorance) high demand.
It's a mediocre source of calcium, and a source of vitamin D due to fortification, but it's available everywhere, and subsidized by the government.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

In America we have to fortify our cows milks because cows are being fed a diet of corn not grass so their milk isn't even as nutritious as they claim ...

If we are going to feed the masses watered down fortified calcium drinks, why do animals and our world have to suffer in the process? Why can't people just start drinking more fortified seed or nut milks, they taste a whole lot better and there is no pus!
Cow milk and almond/soy/ milk are literally the same thing when it is watered down and fortified with minerals and does not take as much to create... People are so stupid why drink milk from a cows tit if it has to be fortified it defeats the purpose..!
Don't be a waste of molecules