Todays Music SUCKS

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
cufflink
Diet: Vegan

Re: Todays Music SUCKS

Post by cufflink »

yes wrote:. . . that's probably why I only like music from 1960 to 1995 :P
I tend to prefer music from 1685 to 1960.
One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment of the Well of Life to taste--
The Stars are setting, and the Caravan
Draws to the Dawn of Nothing--Oh, make haste!

—Fitzgerald, Rubáiyát, 2nd ed., XLIX
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

cufflink wrote:
yes wrote:. . . that's probably why I only like music from 1960 to 1995 :P
I tend to prefer music from 1685 to 1960.
I actually do listen mostly to music from 1994 (coincidentally my birth year) to the present, but only quality non-mainstream music (I hate radio). Probably because I prefer electronic music. On occasions I listen to older music—from Brian Eno, Jean Michel Jarre, Steve Reich or other pioneers of synthesizer music. I also do appreciate classical music, but it's not something I would turn on myself.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

I don't know what happened to musicians after this new millennium....

Now a days it all sounds like brain washy, mind morphing, failed attempts at music..
Don't be a waste of molecules
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I do have to partially agree, because I've had a tendency to prefer the popular music of the past over the popular music of the present (I like a fair amount of Swing, and 60's/70's Rock.) But my main musical passion has been mostly the underground music released in the last few decades. I think most people could find some new music which they would enjoy if they just looked hard enough. Luckily, with the invention of the internet, finding new interesting music has never been easier. It's always a good feeling to have new releases to look forward to, so I would encourage people here to start exploring styles which may not initially 100% jive with you, but has some aspect that you can appreciate, and you may find yourself coming to like it just as much as anything else you've been a fan of. A big thing that's helped me find some of my favourite music has been being open minded to some aspects of certain music which I used to be overly critical of.

There's already been one great release this year so far for me, and I'm looking forward to at least a couple more great ones. There's also been a fair number of other releases complimenting my listening habits.
HarvesterofSorrow

Post by HarvesterofSorrow »

I think most people could find some new music which they would enjoy if they just looked hard enough. Luckily, with the invention of the internet, finding new interesting music has never been easier. It's always a good feeling to have new releases to look forward to, so I would encourage people here to start exploring styles which may not initially 100% jive with you, but has some aspect that you can appreciate, and you may find yourself coming to like it just as much as anything else you've been a fan of. A big thing that's helped me find some of my favourite music has been being open minded to some aspects of certain music which I used to be overly critical of.
I completely agree with DreamSphere here. Yes the mainstream music of our time may be heavily influenced by sex, drugs and objectification of women. We do however, have to remember the fact that music from the past becomes influences for future generations. This leads to new music being made that might share aspects of the great music we enjoy from older artists. Keep in mind that many times these new up and coming artists are not popular enough so yes you will have to look around a little harder. But like DreamSphere already said, with the help of the web we now can do this in just a couple minutes. So search on and keep an open mind about it.
TheTallGnome

Post by TheTallGnome »

I know this is kinda necroing but I wanted to add is that mainstream music is not usually what lives on from a generation of music. Sometimes it is (Elvis and Beatles for example) but these artists are also regarded as legitimately good musicians and even legends by some.

Nicki Minaj is not what the study of Music 2010-17 101 is going to contain, it's not going to live on because the music is mostly made to go hard, fit in a club environment etc, not to be a masterpiece.

There are lots of talented and creative people & bands out there, but they usually are not on the top 40.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

TheTallGnome wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:50 pmThere are lots of talented and creative people & bands out there, but they usually are not on the top 40.
This is one of the reasons today's music sucks. Talented musicians have a harder time breaking through than in earlier days because nowadays it's more about how you look and how you dance.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

I agree with the OP, the great musicians of the past are rolling in their graves hearing today's music!

...With the exception of Beethoven, luckily he's deaf so can't hear it.
TheTallGnome

Post by TheTallGnome »

Jebus wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 am
TheTallGnome wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:50 pmThere are lots of talented and creative people & bands out there, but they usually are not on the top 40.
This is one of the reasons today's music sucks. Talented musicians have a harder time breaking through than in earlier days because nowadays it's more about how you look and how you dance.
What are your opinions on Kendrick Lamars 'Damn'? The song Humble has been viral and the album did amazing numbers even compared to the 'dumb music' that plagues the top 40.

But why are you limiting the group "Today's music" to the top 40? Or top anything? There are most likely MORE creative bands, MORE creative and amazing music than there was in the earlier ages. Today's artists have more inspiration to draw from, more technological possibilities to enhance their music etc.

If you were to limit music to "real music" (God I hate this term, like really despise it) and compare any other time to today I am sure that the amount of amazing music would be at least tenfold in favor of today.

Why do you pay any attention to today's music if you dislike it so much? You have Spotify, Tidal, Apple music, Youtube, and SoundCloud. You have EVERY possibility to only listen to whatever music you want to explore (For cheap/free and a lot easier than ever before too)

So to summarize.

There is more good music today, it is MUCH cheaper and a hundred times more accessible than ever before. But today's music sucks? This entire thread honestly reeks of pretentiousness and nostalgia.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

TheTallGnome wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:09 pmThere are most likely MORE creative bands, MORE creative and amazing music than there was in the earlier ages
Not a chance. There were more music nerds back in the day who could practice their guitar all day without being distracted by mobile phones or computers. The psychedelic drugs of the 1960s and 70s probably helped creativity as well. Also, many artists make what they think will sell rather than what they think is good. The final reason why music used to be so much better is that there were so many undiscovered melodies. These days it's difficult to come up with an original melody that sounds good.

It isn't just that the musicians of today are worse than those from yesteryear. Artists that used to be good and who are still making music are rarely as good as they used to be. 1966-1993 will forever be the best era in music history.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.