ADHD real

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

ADHD real

Post by Twizelby »

Does anyone here think ADHD is real? I was diagnosed when I was 12 and have consistently had problems with attention. I don't mean just drifting off in the middle of a boring lecture, I mean losing things that I put down 5 minutes ago, forgetting to put lids on jars, losing homework, difficulty with organization that seems to verge on the line of absurdity, missing details like punctuation and capitalization, etc... Really tasks that look so easy for others just frustrate the crap out of me.
I ask because I have spent all these years being told not to get medicated because my family was afraid of the medications. I have the option now and I am a little nervous because being in college, I know a lot of people who abuse drugs like Ritalin. I have been watching lectures and other people think that it's a code word for laziness and that other countries don't even have ADHD problems. What do you think? is it an invention made to sell pills or a real disability.
PrincessPeach

Re: ADHD real

Post by PrincessPeach »

Deff. an invention made sell pills kids as young as 3 can be put on that shit... It is a stimulant if you really had problems paying attention and staying alert go the natural ways, why not drink strong coffee/espresso it would have the same affect but not from a synthetic man made drug there is no natural amphetamine it is man made, methamphetamine or synthetic amphetamine they are both made by man not naturally occurring any where in this world.. Do you smoke pot? That may be why you put something down and forget where it is 5 minutes later... lol
Also do you eat a lot of refined sugars, foods that contain red or yellow dyes? These are trigger hyperactivity ...

Food additives and dyes: many colored foods are marketed to children, and hyperactivity in children following ingestion of food dyes is well documented in placebo-controlled studies.6,11 Furthermore, a 2004 meta-analysis of 16 studies in children who were already hyperactive showed that their hyperactive behavior increased after ingesting food colorings.12

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cat-adhd.html
Don't be a waste of molecules
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

I don't smoke any pot, no lol. I never have had a taste for refined sweeteners. I played around with my diet a lot and found that basing my diet on lots of raw foods with less tofurky has immensely improved my mood but hasn't changed my level of distraction. I want to be better at my degree, it's incredibly math intensive at times and other times I have these crazy volumes of books. I can't tell if it's just exhaustion from going to work and school all day or what but it seems to be so persistent that I want an easy solution. obviously no one here is my doctor but I don't trust my doctor because he is always trying to sell me stuff like acupuncture.
Anyway I'm getting a new doctor so I wanna see what he says. I'm really just looking for well established science as to the validity of claims about the topic. Thanks for the input.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Get the pills.

Buy some veggie caps.

Put some pills in some caps, with sugar. Fill other caps with only sugar.

Put them in groups of like pills. Label the groups randomly (some are all active medication, some are placebo)

Make sure you don't know which group is which, but they are labeled such that you can look it up afterwards when you do your analysis.

Take one group for a month.
Take notes on what you think the effects are.

Take another group for a month.
Take notes.

Take another, etc.

Repeat this.

See if you can find beneficial effects in some months, compared to others.

Then, after you determine which months were best, look up which groups were which, and you should be able to determine if the "good" months were randomly placebo and active ingredient, or just active ingredient, or just placebo (and the active ingredient made things worse).

If you can't tell any difference, then don't bother?

That's one way to go about it.

Make sure your doctor knows you're doing this, and explain your methodology, so your doctor knows you know what you're doing. Explain that you're skeptical of the medication, and you want to know if it's just placebo or if it's really helping you before committing to it longer term.

There's a difference between drug use and drug abuse.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:Furthermore, a 2004 meta-analysis of 16 studies in children who were already hyperactive showed that their hyperactive behavior increased after ingesting food colorings.12
Meta-studies and Meta-analysis aren't usually useful. You can "prove" anything with a meta-analysis by only analyzing a bunch of small studies which confirm what you want to find, and ignoring the rest (sometimes deliberately, sometimes due to publication bias, because negative studies are harder to find- but not because they don't exist, usually because they weren't published because they weren't interesting, or somebody buried them because they didn't produce the results they wanted).
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Usually your GP will not prescribe you adderall or ritalin unless you have had a pre diagnosis for add or adhd as a child otherwise you'll probably just get a referral to a psychiatrist...
The thought of prescribing adderall
Give some one that is hyper active a stimulate because that stimulate will calm that person down instead of hyping them up ( any normal person will go off the walls if given an amphetamine)
So instead of taking dangerous man made drugs.... Drink coffee/espresso it works very well!
I was diagnosed with adult ADD and have tried these drugs for it.. They made me sick, throw up, I never slept .. You don't want to be on those drugs..
To manage my 'add' symptoms (probably just a side affect from the 21 years of a shitty life) I drink ..... Organic instant coffee!! I don't drink it every day so the effects are stronger and it works better... It's like every other day or two days on one day off kinda thing!
Also juicing carrots and apples works very well at keeping you alert and focused ;-)
Every one that I know that was prescribed ADD meds as a kid now has hypothyroidism and can not pass their second year of community college... Depressing..
The people I know who take ADD meds as adults, usually will do pretty good for about the first 6months then their bodies become to dependent on the substance and their ultimate high and everything they achieved while on the meds eventually falls down and crashes when the body's need for the drug is larger than the amount of drugs prescribed ... Happens to everyone..
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Give some one that is hyper active a stimulate because that stimulate will calm that person down instead of hyping them up ( any normal person will go off the walls if given an amphetamine)
It's about how they affect the nervous system. Sometimes it's counter-intuitive.

It's not homeopathy- stimulants actually do help some people (demonstrated by placebo controlled trials), but the brain chemistry involved is complicated. There are also non-stimulant options.

Although there is an argument to be made that there are alternatives to drugs, with fewer side effects that should be preferred (behavioral ones, like coping skills, and learning how to train your own attention). If these mechanisms fail, or if the individual needs short term help, drugs may be a good choice.
PrincessPeach wrote: So instead of taking dangerous man made drugs.... Drink coffee/espresso it works very well!
I don't think there's any evidence for effect of caffeine on ADHD. You may be experiencing a placebo, or you may have just learned better coping mechanisms while trying to manage it with coffee.
PrincessPeach wrote: I was diagnosed with adult ADD and have tried these drugs for it.. They made me sick, throw up, I never slept .. You don't want to be on those drugs..
Drugs don't work for everybody. Have you tried any non-stimulant drugs?
PrincessPeach wrote: The people I know who take ADD meds as adults, usually will do pretty good for about the first 6months then their bodies become to dependent on the substance and their ultimate high and everything they achieved while on the meds eventually falls down and crashes when the body's need for the drug is larger than the amount of drugs prescribed ... Happens to everyone..
This is definitely something to be wary of. Drugs are best as a short term stopgap rather than a real long term solution.
The long term effects of many of these drugs are not well known, and stimulants in particular can lead to dependency.

If he needs help focusing during the semester, and takes a break during the summer and winter, it may help him get through school.

Hopefully he can supplement it by learning better coping skills too.

EDIT: Also, take this with a grain of salt, but I've read Zinc levels can have something to do with attention deficit in some cases (if there's a deficiency). Omega fatty acids may also help, but research on these matters still seems tenuous.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

OMEGA is really important ! The anti-inflammatory properties of omega 3 can really reduce stress, which can lead to better concentration. I can tell you as woman that supplementing with omega really works! I have no discomfort during my monthly menstruation as well as no more pms! I take a liquid vegan D3 w/ omega 3 6 7 9 made by garden of life kind organics... It is amazing they just came out with this only two months ago and it works so well they have vegan b12 too it is too strong for me to take daily..

What helps me is finishing things before I start something else... Like if I am making food I will not eat the food until I have put everything away that I used to make the food I am eating instead of making the food and then eating it right away...
With forgetting where I've put things, I try really really hard to make sure that everything has its own place and that I put it in that place when finished with said item ..

I know you want scientific evidence that I can reference back to you but I just don't have those resources... I can tell you that I live in Florida the pill mill state & every child and young adult has been or currently taking some form of stimulate & it's not a pretty site... I can tell you from personal experience from knowing people that have been on these drugs to have actually been on them my self you do not need them! If you have the attention span to hold up a written conversations with people
there is no need for you to be on stimulants... It's like meth man!
TheTallGnome

Post by TheTallGnome »

PrincessPeach wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm Deff. an invention made sell pills kids as young as 3 can be put on that shit... It is a stimulant if you really had problems paying attention and staying alert go the natural ways, why not drink strong coffee/espresso it would have the same affect but not from a synthetic man made drug
I can't believe that I am reading these kind of arguments on here.
Something being natural does not make it good, there exists a plethora of poisonous/toxic animals in the world. Same with plants, natural disasters etc.

Coffee is a very weak stimulant that produces very different effects as to amphetamine.
PrincessPeach wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm there is no natural amphetamine it is man made, methamphetamine or synthetic amphetamine they are both made by man not naturally occurring any where in this world..
Same thing here, synthetic does not equal bad.

PrincessPeach wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm
Do you smoke pot? That may be why you put something down and forget where it is 5 minutes later... lol
Also do you eat a lot of refined sugars, foods that contain red or yellow dyes? These are trigger hyperactivity ...
Smoking weed does lead to memory deficiency, but do you really think that these kids that you claim are diagnosed and medicated at 3 are smoking pot? Also there are a lot of people with ADHD who do not smoke weed. I do agree with the diet though.

PrincessPeach wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm
Food additives and dyes: many colored foods are marketed to children, and hyperactivity in children following ingestion of food dyes is well documented in placebo-controlled studies.6,11 Furthermore, a 2004 meta-analysis of 16 studies in children who were already hyperactive showed that their hyperactive behavior increased after ingesting food colorings.12

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cat-adhd.html
This does not disprove ADHD, their symptoms were lessened due to one way of treating the diagnose. Just like medication, therapy or other things could do.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheTallGnome wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:57 pm
PrincessPeach wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm Deff. an invention made sell pills kids as young as 3 can be put on that shit... It is a stimulant if you really had problems paying attention and staying alert go the natural ways, why not drink strong coffee/espresso it would have the same affect but not from a synthetic man made drug
I can't believe that I am reading these kind of arguments on here.
Something being natural does not make it good, there exists a plethora of poisonous/toxic animals in the world. Same with plants, natural disasters etc.
That poster was kind of nuts, she's not around anymore.
Here she thought fluoridated water was a government conspiracy to make people obedient or something:
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179

We had somebody arguing that the Earth was flat once too. Alas, the benefits of a [mostly] free speech zone. :D

In both cases, they were talked out of the belief, though... so that's good.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! You should post an intro (If you haven't yet).