Annoying FaceBook Posts

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Free From Religion

Annoying FaceBook Posts

Post by Free From Religion »

On a daily basis I see multiple posts on FaceBook that make me grind my teeth and wince. The attached image doesn't cause that much distress, but it is an example of something that bothers me slightly... and I simply cannot say anything to the person who posted it. That would just make me seem like an asshole. But why? I care passionately about the truth. The stars are not our fallen loved ones. They are much much more than that. Yes that thought could be consoling, but understanding what stars really are is far more moving...at least to me.

Does anyone else have to deal with this regularly? Keeping things to ourselves out of fear of being ostracized?

A couple years ago I went through a phase of writing my real opinion about religion on posts on facebook, and was met with anger and disappointment from friends and family. "You seem obsessed with this subject" "You know He is real, so stop this nonsense" and other replies are what I saw.

I can't bring myself to be honest with my friends anymore. This is a problem. For now, I will let them post their sadly mistaken, and often horribly unscientific things on facebook, and I wont say anything...
I will just hope that future generations will see through the bullshit, even if it is reassuring bullshit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Remember that truth has nothing to fear from doubt. Truth withstands scrutiny. If anyone tries to convince you doubt is a sin while belief without evidence is a virtue... you can bet they are selling lies." -MystryBox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Annoying FaceBook Posts

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Respond with sarcasm.

"It's a little known fact, but our very own sun is actually an opening where a loved one of an alien family on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri shines down on them to let them know she's happy. Every sun in every solar system is obviously created by somebody dying on a distant and unrelated planet and opening a hole from the spirit world to shine their love back home. Given the material that seeps through the hole, the spirit world is also evidently filled with extremely high pressure plasma burning in a perpetual nuclear explosion. Wait... is that.. hell?"
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

it is bothersome, but to me, if it makes someone happy or optimistic then I let it be. just know that we only have one life, and that if it makes them feel comfort in this one life, and doesn't actively damage someones rights, take delight in that comfort or optimism. I realize there are posts that actively denounce established scientific theory. To posts attacking well established theories, I say dig in, let em' have it.
Free From Religion

brimstoneSalad wrote:Respond with sarcasm.

"It's a little known fact, but our very own sun is actually an opening where a loved one of an alien family on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri shines down on them to let them know she's happy. Every sun in every solar system is obviously created by somebody dying on a distant and unrelated planet and opening a hole from the spirit world to shine their love back home. Given the material that seeps through the hole, the spirit world is also evidently filled with extremely high pressure plasma burning in a perpetual nuclear explosion. Wait... is that.. hell?"
LOL. Well, while I find that funny, I doubt they would. I know they'd see arrogance in a sarcastic response. I just really seem to have no option but to either stay quiet or lose some friends :|
"Remember that truth has nothing to fear from doubt. Truth withstands scrutiny. If anyone tries to convince you doubt is a sin while belief without evidence is a virtue... you can bet they are selling lies." -MystryBox
Free From Religion

Twizelby wrote:it is bothersome, but to me, if it makes someone happy or optimistic then I let it be. just know that we only have one life, and that if it makes them feel comfort in this one life, and doesn't actively damage someones rights, take delight in that comfort or optimism. I realize there are posts that actively denounce established scientific theory. To posts attacking well established theories, I say dig in, let em' have it.
yeah, that's how I feel also. But I have a creeping notion I cant shake, and that's that these posts are subliminally promoting a non-skeptical way of thinking. They will pass this on to their kids. Could I be doing society a favor by calling them on even the harmless bullshit? Maybe it will make them think more deeply about things?
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

Free From Religion wrote:
Twizelby wrote:it is bothersome, but to me, if it makes someone happy or optimistic then I let it be. just know that we only have one life, and that if it makes them feel comfort in this one life, and doesn't actively damage someones rights, take delight in that comfort or optimism. I realize there are posts that actively denounce established scientific theory. To posts attacking well established theories, I say dig in, let em' have it.
yeah, that's how I feel also. But I have a creeping notion I cant shake, and that's that these posts are subliminally promoting a non-skeptical way of thinking. They will pass this on to their kids. Could I be doing society a favor by calling them on even the harmless bullshit? Maybe it will make them think more deeply about things?
I think it makes people bitter and makes us seem like stereotypical atheists. I do actively post scientific articles and assault anti-science BS. but for the most part I stop following these people. It's your one life too and I realize it is tempting to think that you can make people think, but most people I have met who changed their minds, actively chose to seek out differing opinions. The reason the skeptic community is called the skeptic community is because we actually open ourselves and our ideas to critics. people who post this crap are already set. I have never been in a debate that I have changed someones mind. I have only ever changed peoples minds who ask "why do you believe X?" So let it be, block them, and wait for the inevitable questions.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Or you can respond with something more warm and inspirational:

"The closest star is over 40 trillion kilometers away. Keep your loved ones close, in your heart -- forever with you, not out in space somewhere far away."
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

It's funny because most of the stars we see in the sky no longer exist, they're already dead!
Don't be a waste of molecules
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

You shouldn't spare people from the truth of they're living a lie. Regardless if it makes them happy, their happiness exists because of a lie and to say they should be left alone because of it is only supporting that lie.
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

This overly romanticized nonsense can be nauseating, but openly critiquing it will result in utter distain from the people it appeals to.
I tend to spend as little time on Facebook as possible.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics