non-americans

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

non-americans

Post by Twizelby »

So I have been curious about how the world perceives the US. I am curious what non US citizens think of us. I have been on a Noam Chomsky and Chalmers Johnson binge lately so I want to hear from outsiders what your impressions are of us.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: non-americans

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I know the general thought amongst Canadians in my neck of the woods is that Americans tend to be loud, drive overly large SUVs, overly patriotic and generally gun crazy (and more religious).
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:I know the general thought amongst Canadians in my neck of the woods is that Americans tend to be loud, drive overly large SUVs, overly patriotic and generally gun crazy (and more religious).
LOL I won't lie I am loud. What about foreign policy? It is rather troubling how nationalist this country is.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

in regards to foreign policy, it seems that the US likes to stick themselves in the middle of things, claim its for noble reasons and then we find it was about oil.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:in regards to foreign policy, it seems that the US likes to stick themselves in the middle of things, claim its for noble reasons and then we find it was about oil.
That's the sense I get, but if you speak up here you are labeled as unpatriotic and un-american. It's actually a little scary to say anything here, because opinion is so narrow. Both parties distance themselves from anyone who questions US foreign policy. They are almost the same party.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Twizelby wrote: That's the sense I get, but if you speak up here you are labeled as unpatriotic and un-american. It's actually a little scary to say anything here, because opinion is so narrow. Both parties distance themselves from anyone who questions US foreign policy. They are almost the same party.

What I find utterly hilarious is how un-patriot the typical American lifestyle is!
How is it American to not make anything in America and outsource everything from China?
People in America are so stupid! They wont pay the little bit of extra money to support small American growing businesses, no supporting independently owned American companies is not American, what's American is saving money by only spending roughly a dollar each or so on toiletries/ect that have been made in a sweat shop over seas....? That's the American way, exploitation for profit!

I find it so sad how things are marketed in America, save money here, dollar this, dollar that, dollar sandwich, dollar for a dozen eggs, gross! American's need to wake up and shape up, but it's so hard with all the shitty food and the tv literally telling you it's acceptable to "binge out" on television series for hours on end... If one can watch tv responsibly that is fine but; the tv putting it in your mindset that it's okay to sit stagnant for hours, eat shitty food and get sucked into a tv series is so fucked up, it's easy to fall into that routine so many Americans do, that's why more than 50% of Americans are over weight.. There are little to none of advertisements in America that encourages us to eat fruits/veggies and exercise ...
It's sad :cry:
For 3 ears of corn at the store it is $4.99!! The price of corn is so high for consumers because of the high supply needed to feed the outrageous demand for livestock we have in this country.
Don't be a waste of molecules
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

as an Australian i can conclude that many australians, how should i put this, dislike americans. witch is strange considering how similar we are. mainly the older population of Aussies hate american culture witch seemed to take over the world after the rise of the internet.

Altho politics can be somewhat unpredictable, from such a view point, it seems Australia is becoming more and more like america. one example of this is found in a new policy from our government to have priests in schools, public or private. on top of this they are not aloud to preach or other wise advocate there religion. (altho his name escapes me now.) one of the "leading atheists" quoted someone saying "its like inviting clowns to schools and telling them there not aloud to tell jokes."

so Australia is becoming more like America in the fact that Christians are pushing there rule on secular society. except we don't have large atheist organisations to fight back like america does.

my personal opinion is that america seems to be a much better place in regards to social justice issues, for example gay marriage. i would like to theorise that the large amount of bigots draw attention to the issue's. but the people are more likely to vote in favour of non bigots.

most people from other cultures will be some what ignorant of other cultures, this includes myself, so if someone wants to correct anything i have said, it would be much appreciated. :)
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.