saddest thing about veganism

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

saddest thing about veganism

Post by Twizelby »

I get more and more passionate about this topic the more I learn. I view other animals as fellow passengers on this brief and beautiful existence. My realization of sentience and even intelligence of animals came from a lot of different experiences. Living with chickens in my backyard because of a rented room, fascination with animal behavior, emotion, and their vastly underrated cognitive abilities.

The realization as to the ethics of treating these beings as property was so profound, and lent itself to such a awakening of just how un-objective I was being when evaluating the value of the lives and well being of these creatures.

I am forever disappointed at the level of disinterest in veganism or even vegetarianism. When I learned, I exuberantly wanted to share my new found empathy, how hard could it be to show people? Well without fail, from people who unleashed diatribes about Michael Vick on facebook, to people who can't go a minute without talking about how funny their cat is, I and the lives of these specific animals are a joke. That is so sad to me. That I can go to the earthlings video and read a comment with 170 thumbs up that say "I watched this while eating a steak :lol: " it upsets me to the core of my being. To be so unmoved by so much pain. People often are upset by tragedy that they can do nothing about, and yet cruelty that they can actually take actions to prevent, is a joke, a farce, a bunch of hippy liberals shouting into the vast empty about the life of a machine.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: saddest thing about veganism

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

While I agree it is frustrating, I rather look on ways to make it better, not lose myself in the road yet untraveled. The more time I spend upset at others, the less time I can be productive and hopefully change a mind. Maybe the next person you really get to will change thousands of minds.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

People use humor as a defense mechanism, when something makes them uncomfortable.

It's not that they find it inherently funny. It's part of cognitive dissonance.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

No, the saddest thing about Veganism is that you will never again be able to know the joy of cheese.

Meanwhile, I am having a pork chop tomorrow.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
AM V12

Post by AM V12 »

Shadow Fox wrote:No, the saddest thing about Veganism is that you will never again be able to know the joy of cheese.

You and others of the same ilk are why many vegans dislike meat eaters. There was no need to bait others of a different opinion. If you want to debate and explain why carnism is better then use these forums - http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewforum.php?f=22
In the meantime, I personally do not believe that the taste of food is worth the lives, pain and cruelty of other sentient beings.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Shadow Fox wrote:No, the saddest thing about Veganism is that you will never again be able to know the joy of cheese.
That's a factual error. There's vegan cheese, and it has many qualities: it's not unhealthy like dairy cheese, no animals were harmed to have it and you don't destroy the environment in the process.
Shadow Fox wrote:Meanwhile, I am having a pork chop tomorrow.
And? If you like to be a morally inconsistent hedonist, you don't have to announce it to the world.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I am all in favour of expressing your opinions and arguments, however there is little room on this forum for baiting others with comments meant only to mock or enflame. Want to have a discussion of veganism? Open up a thread, propose a topic, and lets have a meaningful discussion.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

Twizelby wrote: "I watched this while eating a steak :lol: "
nailed it