Open Letter To....

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Open Letter To....

Post by PsYcHo »

Dear Depressed Bird guy,

Man, I hope you didn't do what I'm afraid you did. You help people, and that is a rare quality. I don't know you, but I understand your struggle. Please, please, please, respond or at least show up.

P.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
maledicenttails
Diet: Vegan

Post by maledicenttails »

Dear Japanese supermarkets,

Why does /all/ of your bread need to contain milk? Maybe if you left the milk part out of it you could probably put more bread slices than 5 or 6 in a bag.

Why is the majority of your soy milk unfortified or poorly fortified as well? I had to rifle through 10 different supermarkets to find a brand that came somewhat close to western standards. Did Big Pharma get to you too? I'm sorry, but 80 mg of calcium per cup is just not going to cut it for me.

Your tofu and most other soy products are typically cheap, which I can't really fault since I benefit from this. But then you go and make legumes twice as expensive compared to the West! I mean, growing legumes is the most sustainable and cost effective method of growing food, right?
Then again, from my minimal understanding of agriculture in Japan, it seems the only things that can be grown well here is soy and rice. That shit gets old, fast.

To end on a positive note, thank you for making avocadoes cheaper than apples. I may not be able to enjoy avocado toast, but guacamole is pretty neat.

Kind regards.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Dear Clerk,

Did you really need that many bags? I guess I should have brought in my own bag, but we were just shopping for a handful of items. You used 12 plastic bags, but our purchases could have fit into 4 at most. Frozen vegetables sit well with fresh vegetables, and all non-organic items will also comfortably reside by each other. I re-use the bags, but damn, that's a lotta waste!

P.

Taxation is theft.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Dear those offended by the recent events;

Get the fuck over it. You know who isn't offended by recent events? People with real problems. Like having to find food. Or clean water. Or a place to sleep where they won't overheat or freeze to death, depending on their locale.

I know..Insert politician's name here..said things that really made you mad. (Or other people told you what they said that made them mad, right?) And if you really care so much, then maybe try doing something about it besides reposting Facebook memes that other people created.

And for all of you people who spend so much time bitching about politics but didn't bother to vote (and spare me your whiny reasons why you didn't vote, I agree it's bs but its the only possible way I can make a difference in a real sense) shut the hell up. No one cares about your whiny reasons about why you couldn't be bothered to go vote ( BUT I HAVE SOOO MANY REASONS!!! :roll:

Do something. Or do nothing. But don't pretend to have tried to make a difference when you did NOTHING.

Taxation is theft.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 am Dear those offended by the recent events;

Get the fuck over it. You know who isn't offended by recent events? People with real problems. Like having to find food. Or clean water. Or a place to sleep where they won't overheat or freeze to death, depending on their locale.

I know..Insert politician's name here..said things that really made you mad. (Or other people told you what they said that made them mad, right?) And if you really care so much, then maybe try doing something about it besides reposting Facebook memes that other people created.

And for all of you people who spend so much time bitching about politics but didn't bother to vote (and spare me your whiny reasons why you didn't vote, I agree it's bs but its the only possible way I can make a difference in a real sense) shut the hell up. No one cares about your whiny reasons about why you couldn't be bothered to go vote ( BUT I HAVE SOOO MANY REASONS!!! :roll:

Do something. Or do nothing. But don't pretend to have tried to make a difference when you did NOTHING.
Ok but recent events are causing real world problems for a lot of people...

But people not voting and complaining and posting facebook memes instead of activism pisses me off too.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

EquALLity wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 pm
Ok but recent events are causing real world problems for a lot of people...
...... we're not supposed to reply to open letter, but since someone did... 8-)

You noticed how I used the term "recent" events. That was vague for a reason. I wasn't actually referring to any recent events. It was just a jab at those who get offended by whatever they see on the internet or watch on the news.

EquALLity wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 pm But people not voting and complaining and posting facebook memes instead of activism pisses me off too.
Then we agree on this (it was bound to happen sometime, maybe?)

I don't care what the issue is, but posting crap on Facebook does nothing. Our current system of voting isn't great, but at least it's something.

And for those people who were eligible to vote, but didn't, I just wish they would shut the f up, and stop pretending like they actually tried to make a difference.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:40 am I don't care what the issue is, but posting crap on Facebook does nothing. Our current system of voting isn't great, but at least it's something.
If it's an issue of consumer behavior rather than a global issue, it can do something; like informing people not to use antibacterial soap, or to cut down on animal products.

Personal lifestyle changes do much more than voting, although it only applies to a limited range of issues.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm If it's an issue of consumer behavior rather than a global issue, it can do something; like informing people not to use antibacterial soap, or to cut down on animal products.
Dammit, I was going to re-iterate that Open letters are supposed to be a place for people to digitally write the equivalent of a letter that you don't send, but I really, really agree with this point.

That's a really valid point that I agree with, but it also comes with a darker side. The same short meme that tells people how bad antibacterial soap is in the long run, is generated on the same page that explains how it is impossible (thru physics) for a bee to fly. One is true (Soap 'yall) the other is bullshit. (The bee. They can fly, because physics 'yall)

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm Personal lifestyle changes do much more than voting, although it only applies to a limited range of issues.
Personal lifestyle changes do much more than voting, but only because the public keeps voting the same people into positions of power. But considering how informed the majority of those persons eligible to vote are, perhaps it is best that not all of them cast their ballot. (Did I just argue against myself?

Taxation is theft.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

PsYcHo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 am Dammit, I was going to re-iterate that Open letters are supposed to be a place for people to digitally write the equivalent of a letter that you don't send, but I really, really agree with this point.
Why would you send an open letter if you don't want people to read it and/or respond to it?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

miniboes wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 am
PsYcHo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 am Dammit, I was going to re-iterate that Open letters are supposed to be a place for people to digitally write the equivalent of a letter that you don't send, but I really, really agree with this point.
Why would you send an open letter if you don't want people to read it and/or respond to it?
:evil: :lol:

It's supposed to be the equivalent of writing a letter to someone that you do not actually send. Basically a therapeutic exercise to either get something off your mind, or just to put down in writing something you wish you could have/ would like to have said.

The fact that it is online of course allows that it will be read, but the purpose behind it not being responded to is to allow the writer to get something off their minds, without having to explain themselves. Other people can see it, but if they don't reply, it both allows the writer to give however much insight into an issue they wish to share online, and also to know that (ideally), no one will bring up the topic in this particular thread.

It's therapeutic. Sometimes people want to vent, but they may only want advice (or help) if they ask for it directly. This is not (ideally) the place for that. It's just a place to let off steam, or thank someone you wish you had thanked, or make a silly observation that doesn't need a reply.

Taxation is theft.