Best FREE Ebooks, also Real books or ebooks?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.

eBooks or Real Books

eBooks
17%
Real Books
33%
Both
50%

Total votes: 6

Taman Shud

Re: Best FREE Ebooks, also Real books or ebooks?

Post by Taman Shud »

dan1073 wrote:I think that's what most people's problems are. They're too used to reading paper books. I think we'd have to grow up with it in order to use it comfortably. One thing I can't stand are Audio books.
Not necessarily true. I was lucky that my mother used to read to us as children and I gained an appreciation for the written word. For decades I loved everything there is to love about deadtree books and thought I'd never learn to like the digital world. Right up until I got a ereader in 2005. Since then I have grown to love my ereader. I'll note though, that any ereader I own must have epaper and not your typical backlit computer screen. I couldn't read a whole novel on a regular computer screen. So, something like the Kindle Fire would not be a good choice.

I adapted quickly to the ereader and other than the smell of a new book the ereader is superior to your regular deadtree book. It is 2014 and my Sony ereader from 2005 is chugging along just fine. I still have roughly the same battery life (Which is very, very long.) and reading a book on the ereader is just as easy, on the eyes, as a regular book. Which was a pretty big issue for me.

The amount of books that one can have on their ereader is incredible and the ereader remembers where you left off reading the book plus being able to bookmark as many pages as you wish is pretty awesome. My ereader sorts my books a number of ways so it is easy to find the books you are reading or what you are going to read next.

I've never used it, but for those who's eyesight is getting poor, most ereaders have a font size option that automatically adjusts the size of the font.

Being able to download books, off of my computer, is convenient but I still go to book stores just because I like to browse. I take note of books that I'm interested in and go home and download them. My ereader is too old that I don't have a dictionary option with it, but I can see how awesome it would be to have such a feature, built in, so I can look up words in seconds without having to reference another book.

I thought I was a hardline deadtree guy. I'd thought I'd never convert to digital books. Once I cast aside my doubts and gave my ereader a fair shake, it became obvious that I could learn to love my ereader.

In the end, I did.

When it is time to upgrade (Whenever my current ereader dies, which from the looks of it could be a long time.) I think I'm going to go back to Sony.