Best FREE Ebooks, also Real books or ebooks?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.

eBooks or Real Books

eBooks
17%
Real Books
33%
Both
50%

Total votes: 6

Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Best FREE Ebooks, also Real books or ebooks?

Post by Neptual »

What in your opinion is the best free ebook that you've read?

I personally would rather just pay for it instead of searching the interwebs to find free ones to read in my free time. Which brings up another topic.

Do you prefer ebooks or actually books? Why?
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: Best FREE Ebooks, also Real books or ebooks?

Post by Volenta »

I always read real books. Same with music, which I always buy on CD. Call me old-fashioned, but nothing goes beyond the real psychical stuff. :) Just love the feeling of holding and really owning it.

Best free ebook? Hmm... Darwin's Origin of Species is probably available for free.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Volenta wrote:I always read real books. Same with music, which I always buy on CD. Call me old-fashioned, but nothing goes beyond the real psychical stuff. :) Just love the feeling of holding and really owning it.

Best free ebook? Hmm... Darwin's Origin of Species is probably available for free.
What is this item you call a CD? (jk)
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

dan1073 wrote:What is this item you call a CD? (jk)
I actually even thought about buying a turnable, but I can't afford one. But playing vinyl records is just awesome. Lossless quality, big artwork, the charm of placing it onto the turntable... :)
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

I love the smell of books and there is something nostalgic about turning pages and highlighting them. I just found out the binding isn't vegan which is interesting. I suppose I support the e-book for environmental reasons, but I can't bring myself to fork over the dough to buy one. On a side note I thought Dan you being a Manga fan (I assume) you might be interested in this series of comics. http://liberatorcomic.wordpress.com/about/ I haven't read them myself but I might take a trip to check them out.

How about favorite books in general. One that set me on my current vegan lifestyle was Ishmael by Daniel Quin. It didn't make me go vegetarian or vegan but it definitely moved my perspective in that direction.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Twizelby wrote:I love the smell of books and there is something nostalgic about turning pages and highlighting them. I just found out the binding isn't vegan which is interesting. I suppose I support the e-book for environmental reasons, but I can't bring myself to fork over the dough to buy one. On a side note I thought Dan you being a Manga fan (I assume) you might be interested in this series of comics. http://liberatorcomic.wordpress.com/about/ I haven't read them myself but I might take a trip to check them out.

How about favorite books in general. One that set me on my current vegan lifestyle was Ishmael by Daniel Quin. It didn't make me go vegetarian or vegan but it definitely moved my perspective in that direction.
You're right, I love manga/anime. I'll check it out when I can.

I personally just like reading non-fiction books as long as they're relevant (I don't want to read about what's makeup to wear).
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Im a book man. I cant stand reading books on my ipad or ereader. I loving the sense of accomplishment of physically navigating a paper book.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

dan1073 wrote:Do you prefer ebooks or actually books? Why?
I prefer paper books. It gives me more satisfaction I guess. Probably the fact that I've been using books that long, I can't imagine myself reading a book on a screen.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

thebestofenergy wrote:[
I prefer paper books. It gives me more satisfaction I guess. Probably the fact that I've been using books that long, I can't imagine myself reading a book on a screen.
I think that's what most people's problems are. They're too used to reading paper books. I think we'd have to grow up with it in order to use it comfortably. One thing I can't stand are Audio books.
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

One thing I like about audio books—but I confess that I never listen to them—is the speed. I'm a pretty slow reader. I always have to read things slowly to really absorb what is being said. I don't have this problem when listening to someone, which progresses at a faster speed then my reading.

When reading you have the choice to say the words in you mind, or just be aware of them. The second method is far faster, but when I use that method it feels like I'm not really absorbing the information as well.