Favourite Documentaries

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Taman Shud

Favourite Documentaries

Post by Taman Shud »

I'm guessing I watch as many documentaries as I watch fictional movies. I have a fairly long list of favourite documentaries, but I'm going to start with one and go from there. I count a series of films as one documentary as there are plenty out there. I also have an ulterior motive. I'd like to see what kind of docs other people are watching, and if I haven't already seen it I may add it to my "must see" list.

I'm starting with this documentary because it is one of the few films that actually triggered a noticeable emotional response. I even shed a tear, which is something I never do.

The doc is called; My Flesh & Blood.

I'll get the warning out of the way first. This film is about a woman who ends up adopting 11 kids (She does have two biological children.) which 10 of them have some sort of disability or in one childs case, disabilities. The range in severity and some are terminal. So, basically the warning is, some of the kids have severe disabilities that may not be easy to see.

Now that that is out of the way.

The doc is about Susan Tom, the mother and how she copes with raising so many kids with disabilities. She is truly an amazing woman, but like every person she isn't perfect. But, she does provide a safe, loving home for kids that most likely would've stayed in government care.

Things you should know. Some people called out Susan for how she acted with her daughter Margret when Margret came home from school. What was explained, on the commentary track and not shown in the film, was that Susan would not let the film crew include any footage that the kids didn't agree to, or as their mother what she agreed to. At that moment Susan was dealing with Joe and Margret was in a hysterical state and Susan felt that this conversation shouldn't take place in front of the camera's due to Margret's full on emotional dump. I only mention this because Susan was called cold and heartless towards Margret but knowing what was actually going on, Susan was protecting Margret.

You should also keep in mind that though Joe has a physical disability (One that isn't apparent. He has cystic fibrosis.) you really have to keep in mind that he has pretty severe emotional problems plus ADHD. It is easy to peg Joe as an abusive, asshole but really open your mind to Joe. Try to understand his past and everything that is thrust at him. Over-all Joe was one of the kids that broke my heart. Not because of the questionable things he did, but because of knowing the source of his problems and wanting him to find that place where he could cast of the demon's and start the road back to somewhat of a normal life.

Faith eventually stole my heart.

I highly recommend that after you watch this documentary, give yourself some time to decompress and maybe come back to it and watch it again a week later or so. You will miss subtle things. What opinions you may have of Joe and Susan from one sitting, will start to be altered after watching it again. I've seen the film about 5 times and each time I pick-up something else that shapes and forms how I feel about the film.

In the end, Susan is an amazing person, but what you really learn is kids will be kids.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Re: Favourite Documentaries

Post by Twizelby »

Iraq for Sale. It truly cements your suspicion of American governments corruption. It's a well research documentary that you can watch on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Ie1cdTHlU
It shows connections between officials and private contractors and how inept the contractors are. It is truly shocking.