What are you listening to?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jebus »

RedAppleGP wrote:Well has anyone here heard the ulitmate song? Boston's More Than A Feeling?
You should check out Boston's third album, "Third Stage." In my opinion one of the greatest albums ever made. The singer Brad Delp was called the nicest guy in rock'n roll. He even put warning signs outside the room before his suicide and made arrangements for his cat's future. I forget if he was vegan or just vegetarian.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Well has anyone here heard the ulitmate song? Boston's More Than A Feeling?
You should check out Boston's third album, "Third Stage." In my opinion one of the greatest albums ever made. The singer Brad Delp was called the nicest guy in rock'n roll.
It's amazing. I really like "Amanda" and "The Launch", and "Cool The Engines" is probably next up. 36 and a half minutes of pure awesomeness.
Jebus wrote:He even put warning signs outside the room before his suicide and made arrangements for his cat's future. I forget if he was vegan or just vegetarian.
Dark.. why must some of the talented kill themselves? At least he had consideration for his pet and animals.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

RedAppleGP wrote:It's amazing. I really like "Amanda" and "The Launch", and "Cool The Engines" is probably next up. 36 and a half minutes of pure awesomeness.
My favorites are "My destination", "To be a man" and "HolyAnn." Such great singing.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:I recently discovered Eluveitie (folk metal band) and I think that they're quite good. I noticed their "Omnos" music-video as a recommended video by YouTube. Does anyone know for sure how to properly pronounce the band name?
The Metal-Archives' page for them says that the correct pronunciation is "El-Vey-Ti." From a quick check it looks like that song you liked is from their purely Folk music based album Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion. I'm not familiar with that, but I bought the album Slania about three or four years ago, but didn't like it very much at the time. I may go about revisiting their material sometime in the near future, though it seems like they often get quite a lot of mixed or poor reviews for their stuff. Though, that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't like their stuff, but with my experience with them, albeit brief, it makes me not all that excited to give them another try.

From what I've seen in reviews of their stuff it seems to be similar to what I remember my problems with their sound being; being not all that interesting, kinda boring, generic, and with poor results at mixing the Folk styles and Melodic Death Metal coherently. Maybe their pure Folk album wouldn't have some of those problems I had had with Slania, so I may check that out sooner than their other material.

Folk Metal is actually one of my favourite sub-genres of Metal. So, since you seem to be gaining some interest in the style, here're some recommendations from me, which are some of my favourites from it.

Ensiferum - Ensiferum - (One of the best gateways for the genre, and quite a consistent, yet engaging album.)

Bran Barr - Sidh - (an excellent, somewhat unique, quality mixing of Folk music with Metal, fairly unlike many other Folk Metal bands which carelessly slap the styles together.)

Forefather - Steadfast, and Curse of the Cwelled - (two excellent, and consistently great "Anglo-Saxon" themed Folk Metal album.)

Saor - Aura - (excellent Celtic/Scottish Folk Metal with a bit of a Black Metal edge, like plenty of other Folk/Pagan Metal bands. They have a great atmosphere on here, plus great drum work, and synths/folk instruments, among other qualities.)

Catuvolcus - Voyageurs de l'Aube - (probably my favourite Canadian band, this is a great Folky Extreme Metal album with excellent musicianship and compositions, as is Gergovia)

Månegarm - Vredens Tid, and Vargstenen - (two of the best Swedish Folk Metal albums I've come across. All of their albums are worthwhile, though while most have some Folk influence, some don't have as much as others. Their first album is much more Black Metal oriented, while Havets Vargar is the intense Viking Metal bridge between their Black Metal sound and the more Folk Metal oriented Dödsfärd, the two initially mentioned albums came next, then came Nattväsen which has more apparent Black Metal influence in its sound than their previous ones, which also did, though. Legions of the North also had some songs which were Black Metally and intense like on Nattväsen or Havets Vargar, but also some easier going, more accessible songs. Their self-titled will release in October, so I'm pretty excited for that.)

Now here're a few pure Folk albums I figured were also worth mentioning.

Månegarm - Urminnes Hävd - The Forest Sessions - (another quality album from this band which is purely Folk based, without the harsh Metal sound normally found on their albums, though that doesn't mean this album won't pick up the pace every now and then.)

Ulver - Kveldssanger - (a nice album, with a quality atmosphere. However, the band's leader expressed some disappointment with the execution of some of his vocal performances, among other things. Those are there, however can be looked over easily enough (and sometimes enjoyed,) for the otherwise enjoyable experience.)

Empyrium - Weiland - (quality Folky music, with a great atmosphere like all their other albums. Their first two were Metal based, while their third and fourth were almost pure Folk, their fifth is also great, with some Metal appearing now and then, though largely being Symphonic/Folk/somewhat minimalist based.)
5onic

Post by 5onic »

Glad to see metal fans here, especially death metal.

And people think vegan and metal doesn't mix.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Check out My Totally Cool Music Playlist For Cool People, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAnymwdRYPZgWnNcyqgT_kzZkwOLSSkaH
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

5onic wrote:Glad to see metal fans here, especially death metal.

I suppose you like Metal too? What styles and bands are among your favourites?

I think I understand what you mean by being especially glad there're vegan death metal fans here. It's because death metal's one of the more intense/aggressive styles and that goes against the grain of some vegan stereotypes, right? Do you think black metal is similar in terms of intensity? I actually think it can get to be about just as extreme, though I've heard many sentiments from people expressing how they feel it doesn't quite stack up to death metal and was wondering if your opinion was like that.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Dream Sphere wrote:I think I understand what you mean by being especially glad there're vegan death metal fans here.
...and vegan black metal fans too!
Dream Sphere wrote:It's because death metal's one of the more intense/aggressive styles and that goes against the grain of some vegan stereotypes, right? Do you think black metal is similar in terms of intensity?
So I saw your comment about death metal above and thought it applies to black metal too, and then I saw this. Yeah I definitely agree about black metal being intense as well.
5onic wrote:People think vegan and metal doesn't mix.
They've probably not been exposed to the Vegan Black Metal Chef, because if they would then they'd realize how severely wrong this notion is.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
metalized

Post by metalized »

5onic wrote:Glad to see metal fans here, especially death metal.

Metal and vegan is the only mix that makes sense to me
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

So, I'm glad I've discovered this band now, but kinda disappointed that I hadn't discovered them earlier because they're really great. Anyways, is anyone a fan of Nocturnus and their debut album The Key? It's a really great mix of death metal with symphonic and electronic elements. It also has some seemingly black metal and power metal influence, which was quite before its time for The Key having been released in 1990.

Here's the official bandcamp page for the album. -- http://earache.bandcamp.com/album/the-key