What are you listening to?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Volenta
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Volenta »

TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I rarely listen to music these days. I tend to listen to podcasts and debates whenever I am driving or working around the house.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:I rarely listen to music these days. I tend to listen to podcasts and debates whenever I am driving or working around the house.
I listen to music mostly for concentration and distressing, don't you have any need for that?

I'm curious what kind of podcasts you listen to. And don't you run out of podcasts and debates? I know I have that problem sometimes.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Volenta wrote:
TheVeganAtheist wrote:I rarely listen to music these days. I tend to listen to podcasts and debates whenever I am driving or working around the house.
I listen to music mostly for concentration and distressing, don't you have any need for that?

I'm curious what kind of podcasts you listen to. And don't you run out of podcasts and debates? I know I have that problem sometimes.
When i need to distress, i typically like silence.

In regards to the podcasts, I have run out of things to listen to in the past, but I seem to find something new. I will try out a new podcast and then if i like the new episodes, I will go backwards and listen to all the older episodes.

I currently am listening to the following podcasts:

Dogma Debate
The Atheist Experience (I know its not a podcast, but I download the episodes and listen)
The Scathing Atheist
Unbelievable (Christian podcast, with atheist guests)
The Non Prophets
Radiolab

What I have listened to in the past:
Ask an Atheist
A Christian and an Atheist
Thank God I'm Atheist
Animal Voices
Vegan Freak
Food for Thought
Rich Roll Podcast

If I'm not listening to a podcast, I will download some audio books and listen while I work or workout.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
5onic

Post by 5onic »

*warning* It's metal
Sybreed - Twelve Megatons Gravity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvUB6_Xjno

Lyrics;

Code: Select all

I'm not a redeemer, I'm not another saviour
Don't want to save your world, I would rather make it burn in flames
I spit on all the doves, your good intentions are masturbation
To hide a simple fact: you're scarred of your needs of violence

I am the new salvation
I am the voice screaming in your head
I have no compassion
I annihilate the smile on your face

Death is all around me
Blood is why we lick their feet
All celebrate the reign of pigs
Leisure and atrocity
Flesh is melted again
Bind in orgies of carnal guilt
I want to smash them all
For drowning themselves in their semen and lust

I don't agree with happiness, don't want to be a brainwashed slave
I bit the hand and cut the leash, the rope of comfort around my neck
And enjoy the bitter taste of watching all delusions fade away
Your iron dream is wrapped into a velvet shape of ignorance

And still you keep on deny the pain
The itch running onto your skin
The burnt of profound misery
Do you enjoy the taste of shame, the blade of vanity?

A slaughtered heaven, a place of fool's sanity [?],
A mouthful of injuries, it's all what you deserved
I am the bullet on the run, I force my way into your brain
Extracting all corrupted words with the massive strain of a gun
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Metal is my favourite and the genre of music I've most explored, though I like a bit of Jazz, Folk, Rock, Classical, Electronic, Punk and Country as well.

My favourite band is the Avant-garde Metal band from Japan, who started off playing Black Metal, but progressively got more and more experimental as time went on to include tons of influences from countless genres. (Though they've released some less experimental albums somewhat recently among their more experimental ones.)

Their 3 most accessible albums for non-Extreme Metal fans are Imaginary Sonicscape, Gallows Gallery, and In Somniphobia. Those 3 are certainly among my favourites of theirs, but I'm also a big fan of Hail Horror Hail, Scenes From Hell, and Infidel Art. Their only albums I don't really love are Scorn Defeat, Ghastly Funeral Theatre, Scenario IV: Dread Dreams, and Hangman's Hymn.

Here's one of my favourite songs from them, which I am currently listening to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJjFQRYx2Y

Here's their Metal-Archives page if anyone's interested in checking them out further. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sigh/51

I've also been really digging the Death Metal band Thorium recently, though their style isn't pure old-school Death Metal, they also take some influences from Melodic Death Metal as well as Black Metal.

Here's a song by them which I'm now listening to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEM0iJh4Fk
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Try listening to "Mostly Other People do The Killing" it's a jazz band that I went out to Germany to see recently. I saw one of my old teachers from high school in the band :P
She's beautiful...
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

dan1073 wrote:Try listening to "Mostly Other People do The Killing" it's a jazz band that I went out to Germany to see recently. I saw one of my old teachers from high school in the band :P
I listened to The Hop Bottom Hop by them and it was decent, but nothing much of interest really stood out anywhere during the song. Do you have any specific songs of theirs to recommend?

Also, does anyone else like Blind Guardian around here? I get that Extreme Metal may not be the average person's cup of tea, but Blind Guardian are from the sub-genre of Power Metal, so they're hardly like what some people who aren't accustomed to the Metal genre may expect.

I'm listening to Somewhere Far Beyond by Blind Guardian right now.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I would like to start this thread up again to get some good music discussion going.

I just listened to the song I take my forum-name after called "Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos)" by the band Sigh. Here's a link to the song. that their old record label uploaded to youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE2QMwyDKZc

That song has one of my favourite guitar solos of all time. I'd highly recommend it for anyone to listen through at least once, despite whatever assumptions someone may make before they've heard much of the song, I think many people should be able to enjoy it at least a bit.

I'm up for trying to get people interested in the Metal genre which I am pretty knowledgeable in, and I'm open to further exploring any genres that others feel they have any good recommendations for.

Also, here's a recommendation for anyone just starting to try to get into Metal, and it's also the song I'm listening to now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_u3WQn47k