What are you listening to?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
caLRo

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by caLRo »

I love me some female fronted symphonic heavy metal.

Nightwish - The Greatest Show On Earth
Featuring Richard Dawkins :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb3xwtpmmc
Enjoying a mystery meal on a wobbly bridge between Veganland and Meatland. Care to cross the bridge halfway to have lunch with me?
(Away/hiatus, back by mid-august)
Dream Sphere
Diet: Vegan

Post by Dream Sphere »

metalized wrote:
Dream Sphere wrote: Then finally there's Kreator, which had a pretty good run of albums before they started releasing albums which weren't very well received. Kreator's albums Pleasure to Kill, and Coma of Souls are probably their most iconic albums, but I also like their album called Terrible Certainty quite a bit.
Bonus for Kreator: Mille is a vegan :)
I adore Kreator, Extreme Aggressions is my favourite probably. Their later albums are also amazing if you are open minded. It is just a bit different.

Right now I am listening to DBC (Dead Brain Cells) a technical thrash metal from Canada, they sound a bit like Voivod. Awesome band.

I love all sorts of metal, especially progressive metal, Fates Warning are amongst my favourite bands.
That's cool to know that Mille is Vegan. I still need to check them out some more, Extreme Aggression is the only one from that era I actually haven't heard yet, so I'll probably get to that one first. I'll also check out their later ones sometime too, I've heard that Violent Revolution and Phantom Antichrist are supposed to be quite good.

I've actually not heard of DBC before, and I do like Voivod (however I'm still new to them) so I'll give them a go sometime as well, thanks.

When it comes to Canadian Metal; nowadays I've realized there's quite a bit of great stuff from here. It's been quite surprising because a few years ago I would've said how disappointed I was in my own country's Metal output, and today sitting back on the bands which I've discovered plenty of that counter that sentiment, and shift it to feeling quite good about the state of the genre in my country feels pretty great.

My favourite Canadian band remains Catuvolcus, which I think I may have already shown you, but if not, check out their final album they released here before they disbanded. http://deathboundrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... s-de-laube Here're another couple songs by two recent Canadian Metal discoveries of mine. http://unhumanofficial.bandcamp.com/track/s-cheresse -- http://paganhellfire.bandcamp.com/track/solidarity

Fates Warning is a band I've heard many good things about, however still haven't checked them out yet. Do you have any specific recommendations of their music?

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
Dream Sphere wrote:Hey, ArmouredAbolitionist, I know you showed an interest in Sigh a little while ago and I was wondering if you had heard their newest album which came out about a week ago in North America (it had come out elsewhere about a month ago) called Graveward? Here's the album uploaded by Sigh's current record label on bandcamp -- http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.c ... /graveward -- I think the album is one of my favourites of theirs, though more than half their discography to me is almost perfect, this one lives up to the better half of their stuff, and it's quite interesting, with a good atmospheric synth/horror vibe to a lot of the songs in a similar but still unique way to some stuff they've done before. There's also quite a bit of jazz/psychedelic, black/thrash/heavy metal, and technical progressive type metal with some folk and other stuff also interspersed in it, but in a very cohesive, consistent way that really fits the album's theme.
I will most definitely check out Sigh's new album, as well as all of the past recommendations that you gave me of metal bands. Unfortunately I really haven't been listening to music all that much lately, although when I have I've been focusing greatly on Dimmu Borgir. DreamSphere, if I remember correctly you haven't investigated them much, so I'd definitely recommend doing so. "Sacrilegious Scorn" is my favorite song of theirs. I also like "Gateways" and "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse."
I've only heard “Progenies of the Great Apocalypse” so far and liked it quite a bit. I'll definitely check out more of their stuff soon.

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
Dream Spere wrote:Hey, ArmouredAbolitionist, I know you showed an interest in Sigh a little while ago and I was wondering if you had heard their newest album which came out about a week ago in North America (it had come out elsewhere about a month ago) called Graveward?
I listened to Graveward (the whole album) today and I liked it very much. My top 3 favorite songs from the album are probably The Forlorn, A Messenger from Tomorrow, and The Casketburner.
That's great! “A Messenger from Tomorrow” I think will remain my very favourite from the album, but the other two songs you posted are among the songs I consider to be the better ones from the album too. I also have found quite a liking for “The Tombfiller” and have changed my opinion over on “Dwellers in a Dream” from thinking it to be the worst on the album to seeing it as quite a great song actually, and of course, as one might imagine, my view was skewed on it originally after initially hearing it follow up the most epic song on the album. To be honest I don't think there are any weak songs on the album anymore, so that accompanied by the best songs from the album becoming some of my favourites of theirs has gotten me to rank Graveward as equal to their other very best efforts.

Knight of the Tempeh wrote:I don't know Sigh besides Ghastly Funeral Theatre. I really love how this EP took the basic Celtic Frost formula and managed to make it quite experimental and still great.
As I find all of Sigh's albums to be pretty different from one another I find it a little difficult to recommend another album from them for you to explore. However, given that you seemed to like the experimentation of GFT while it retained a Black Metal sort of core, then I would recommend either going with the album which preceded it: Infidel Art, which is much more Black/Doom Metal oriented and has plenty of synths, or Hail Horror Hail which happens to also have quite a bit of synths and a great atmosphere, however is more comparably experimental to GFT than IA, and it arguably goes further in its experimentation too. There's also more of that Hard Rock/Heavy Metal sound in HHH than IA if that was something which particularly appealed to you.

caLRo wrote:I love me some female fronted symphonic heavy metal.

Nightwish - The Greatest Show On Earth
Featuring Richard Dawkins :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb3xwtpmmc
I hadn't ever found anything by Nightwish in the past which I liked, let alone which lived up to the hype I often heard surrounding them. Now, admittedly, I hadn't looked all that hard into their discography, but now having heard the first two thirds of that song you posted from them I think now I can at least say I like something from them. I'm still not enthralled with them, but I'm thinking I'll check out more of their stuff done with their current vocalist soon to see if there's something which catches me more.

That's also interesting that Richard Dawkins did some narration on that album, I wonder if he's a big fan of them, or how he and the band came into contact with one another and possibly what else he may like within the genre, haha. :) If you didn't know kinda similarly Christopher Lee had done some narration for parts of songs for the band Rhapsody of Fire, for if you may have interest in either of them.

As far as female Metal vocalists go I think Akphaezya's vocalist is my favourite, but Sigh's Dr. Mikannibal is also quite good. Here's something from Akphaezya for anyone who's interested. -- http://akphaezya.bandcamp.com/track/the ... -of-kaltaz
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

[quote="Dream Sphere"]That's also interesting that Richard Dawkins did some narration on that album, I wonder if he's a big fan of them, or how he and the band came into contact with one another and possibly what else he may like within the genre, haha. :)/quote]

I agree that that is an awesome song. Apparently one of the Nightwish members was a Dawkins fan who sent him a letter. Dawkins then checked out their work and wrote back that he would love to do a collaboration.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Pride The Solo King
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Pride The Solo King »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpY3CN-n8g
All Megaman battle network final stage themes. Skip to 2:00 because the first theme is meh.
metalized

Post by metalized »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTvjJBF_YU
A vegan rock band, that came by just clicking association.
They also donate 20% of their profits to animal rights organizations, how cool is that? :)
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Anime soundtrack adapted to English by youtubers. Like this one from cowboy bebop. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYUk-ISUTcI
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
Coldtrojan
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by Coldtrojan »

Jelonek - Romantic Revenge is one of my all-time favourite songs :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn91xcicPeg
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Well has anyone here heard the ulitmate song? Boston's More Than A Feeling?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

I recently discovered Eluveitie (folk metal band) and I think that they're quite good. I noticed their "Omnos" music-video as a recommended video by YouTube. Does anyone know for sure how to properly pronounce the band name?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Vegantichrist

Post by Vegantichrist »

I've been jamming Wolf Down's new ep called Liberation. They are a hardcore band from Germany and they are very vocal about veganism and animal rights. One of my favorite bands! If you are into punk, hardcore or metal check these guys out! Solid music with a message. "Liberation of the enslaved! Vegan revolution! A way will be paved!" Gives me goosebumps!