Reddit

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Reddit

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Can someone explain Reddit to me? Ive heard of youtube content creators who have whole reddit categories/pages devoted to them (i may be using the wrong terminology). How is this possible?

Ive seen videos explode in popularity on reddit, yet at times when I've tried to post my own videos on, i get zero attention whatsoever. Im trying to find new ways of growing as a youtube channel, and I was wondering if someone can explain to me how I may use reddit for that end.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Reddit

Post by brimstoneSalad »

As far as I understand, Reddit is more a symptom of a critical mass of popularity than a promotion tool.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Usually those Youtubers are very popular before they actually get those devoted pages. Although reddit does have an advertising feature that works a little like Google Ad words does. Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/advertising
She's beautiful...
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Reddit is a website where they have discussions about pretty much everything. It's sort of like a forum, and probably the biggest one out there. On Reddit, subjects go from anything from Atheism, Video Games, Memes, Movies, Politics, and a whole lot more. I'm guessing fans of the Youtuber make a /r (reddit page) as like a fan page where they can contribute stuff. Now, a Youtuber can make an AMA (ask me anything) which is just a Q&A. Pretty much every e-celebrity has one. It's pretty cool, but I don't really use it much anymore..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

This video by CPG Grey does a really good job explaining it:
http://youtu.be/tlI022aUWQQ?list=UU2C_j ... vbm1arSV9w

I don't think your channel is quite big enough for your own subreddit. Whether or not your videos are going to be spread by reddit really depends on what subreddit you post them in. I would suggest to try the following subreddits for your next video:
reddit.com/r/atheism
reddit.com/r/vegan
You could also try to post it in subreddits like reddit.com/r/christianity, but you won't get much love there.
I would also recommend linking to the reddit post in your video's description as it makes for a good way for your viewers to discuss the video and your supporters to upvote so it gets spread.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum