The Tavern

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: The Tavern

Post by PsYcHo »

RedAppleGP wrote:
miniboes wrote:I think pokemon go is actually rather good; it is making people that would otherwise stay inside and play video games there to go outside and get some physical and social activity into their daily lives.
Am I the only one that thinks that's kind of.. you know, sad? People have to be encouraged by a video game just to go play outside, instead of because it's fun, or just to stay in shape? Honestly, call me a cynic or whatever term that applies in this situation, but I kinda think it's a new low for humanity. But I guess we'll (hopefully) be seeing more people starting to get more excersize.

We're gonna make America skinny again; One Pokemon at a time.
Of all the current fads, (and I never played Pokemon either, but I respect turn based RPG's), this one has a unique upside. (Besides the walking around and being active stuff.) Each one of these people playing Pokemon aren't hanging around in the internet, thus likely decreasing troll activity by a sizable percentage! Yay Pokemon!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:Of all the current fads, (and I never played Pokemon either, but I respect turn based RPG's), this one has a unique upside. (Besides the walking around and being active stuff.) Each one of these people playing Pokemon aren't hanging around in the internet, thus likely decreasing troll activity by a sizable percentage! Yay Pokemon!
you think?

Oh yeah, this morning when I was going to do my daily-morning bicycle session, the track I usually go to was empty, as per usual (as I like it, so I don't worry about crashing into anyone). About 45 minutes ago, I went back, and I saw a shitload of people on the track and they all had their phones out. Were they doing what I think they were doing? Being the somewhat nosy guy I am, I looked at their phones as I passed them, and in all of them I saw a animated creature on them. I guess more people will start slimming down! :D
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey fellas, my birthday is in a few days. What do you think I should get? I don't really want any new games (The ones I want aren't released yet) and I bought a few yesterday with my brother. (He said "Dude, get Super Mario 3D Land for your 3DS" and I was all like "Why" and he said "Dude trust me that shit is fun", and I was like "Fine", and the thing running through my mind was "This better be good.. costs enough" because it was like $40 and it came out of my pocket). Anyways, as may or may not be familiar, I want to start a YouTube channel, and the only things I kinda sorta need if my quality is to be appealing and appear to have actual effort put into it (unlike GradeAUnderA) are a mic and an editing software. I want to get a cheap yet decent mic, and an editing program I want can be either Sony Vegas or Final Cut, but I need your guyseses recommendations. What do you think I should do?
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:I guess more people will start slimming down! :D
Depends on the amount of double cheeseburgers they eat.
I want to get a cheap yet decent mic, and an editing program I want can be either Sony Vegas or Final Cut, but I need your guyseses recommendations. What do you think I should do?
Asking for a mic is good; it's not too expensive if you just want a decent one. Just make sure you ask for a specific, affordable model, rather than just 'a mic'.

I got a spiral slicer for my birthday this year, and it's really great. The best use is sweet potatoes; slicing them into noodle form makes them bake much quicker, and it's extremely delicious (especially when you add some pine nuts). You can also use it for zuchinni, carrots, potatoes, beets, etc.

A good book is also always a good thing to ask for.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote:Depends on the amount of double cheeseburgers they eat.
how many?
miniboes wrote: Asking for a mic is good; it's not too expensive if you just want a decent one. Just make sure you ask for a specific, affordable model, rather than just 'a mic'.
I know that because I just said that.
miniboes wrote:I got a spiral slicer for my birthday this year, and it's really great. The best use is sweet potatoes; slicing them into noodle form makes them bake much quicker, and it's extremely delicious (especially when you add some pine nuts). You can also use it for zuchinni, carrots, potatoes, beets, etc.
Oh like that slapchop or that crankchop thing?
miniboes wrote: A good book is also always a good thing to ask for.
any recommendations? I'm more into non-fiction rather than shit like fantasy, so.................
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:
miniboes wrote:Depends on the amount of double cheeseburgers they eat.
how many?
Depends on how many calories they burn.
I know that because I just said that.
no shit, son
Oh like that slapchop or that crankchop thing?
https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer--Vegetable-Attachable-Spirelli-GEFU/dp/B00UL5XP4C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1469122965&sr=8-6&keywords=spiral+slicer+gefu

One like this. They vary in price from $10 to $50, so perfectly adjustable to various budgets. You peel the sweet potato (or other vegetable), put it in and twist. The one I linked comes with a hand guard, and I disrecommend getting one without one. It's easy to lose grip without it, and you'll have to stop slicing earlier because you can't put your hand into the slicer.
any recommendations? I'm more into non-fiction rather than shit like fantasy, so.................
I don't read fiction anymore either. Some books I've read that I can recommend:
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoğlu (Warning: fascinating but probably wrong in its conclusions)
- The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- Our Final Invention by James Barrat
- A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel (does get a bit dull at times, you might want to skip through all the ancient greek stuff that is not plato/socrates/aristotle)
- Energy for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller (you don't need to be a future president to get a lot out of this)

Some books I really want to read but haven't yet:
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom
- Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty
- Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
- Energy Myths and Realities by Vaclav Smil
- The Quest: Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World by Daniel Yergin
- The City That Became Safe by Zimring E. Franklin
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
- How Asia Works by Joe Studwell
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck

(I left out subtitles unless the subtitle was needed to have any idea of what the book is about)

I got many of these books from Bill Gates's blog, found here: https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books

I would recommend Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air by David JC MacKay, but it's available for free online so it's a pretty bad gift. Same goes for Sustainable Materials - With Both Eyes Open.
http://www.withouthotair.com
http://withbotheyesopen.com
Last edited by miniboes on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote: I don't read fiction anymore either. Some books I've read that I can recommend:
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoğlu (Warning: fascinating but probably wrong in its conclusions)
- The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- Our Final Invention by James Barrat
- A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel (does get a bit dull at times, you might want to skip through all the ancient greek stuff that is not plato/socrates/aristotle)
- Energy for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller (you don't need to be a future president to get a lot out of this)

Some books I really want to read but haven't yet:
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom
- Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty
- Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
- Energy Myths and Realities by Vaclav Smil
- The Quest: Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World by Daniel Yergin
- The City That Became Safe by Zimring E. Franklin
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
- How Asia Works by Joe Studwell
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck

(I left out subtitles unless the subtitle was needed to have any idea of what the book is about)

I got many of these books from Bill Gates's blog, found here: https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books

I would recommend Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air by David JC MacKay, but it's available for free online so it's a pretty bad gift. Same goes for Sustainable Materials - With Both Eyes Open.
http://www.withouthotair.com
http://withbotheyesopen.com
Mans Searxh for meaning sounds pretty good, maybe I can get my hands on the Selfish Gene. My dad said he once read a book about Alzheimer's where he confused his wife's head for his hat and his foot for his shoe. The others sound pretty interesting. I'll read up on them beforehand though.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:Mans Searxh for meaning sounds pretty good, maybe I can get my hands on the Selfish Gene. My dad said he once read a book about Alzheimer's where he confused his wife's head for his hat and his foot for his shoe. The others sound pretty interesting. I'll read up on them beforehand though.
Man's Search for Meaning was great! I don't know whether his conclusions are correct, but it was a very good listen(I wouldn't say fun; concentration camp stories are not often fun). The Selfish Gene is a book many users of our forum can vouch for.

http://goodreads.com is a very handy site to keep track of books you want to read, have read, and to get information and reviews for the books. Be selective though, I currently have 175 books in my to-read shelf, and it grows much faster than I read :lol:

Edit: I got it down to 123 now, mainly by reducing it to 1 book per author I've never read, and just one or two for any topic I don't know if I find super interesting (for example, I had at least 10 books on the nature of consciousness in there due to going through Sam Harris' recommended books list).

(I did listen to both of these book as audiobooks, but that shouldn't matter much)
Last edited by miniboes on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- David Frum
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

By the way, do read the edit I made to my earlier post about the slicer. You really should have a hand guard with it! I linked the model I have rather than a random one. If you get that one you'll be golden.
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote:By the way, do read the edit I made to my earlier post about the slicer. You really should have a hand guard with it! I linked the model I have rather than a random one. If you get that one you'll be golden.
I'll consider it. Thanks Max for your recommendations!
-Leonardo da Vinci